Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maybe suicide is selfish, but calling it that only proves you don't understand

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When someone is severely depressed, they aren't thinking rationally. They don't see the people around them as people they can confide in. They may feel that they have messed up their lives to the point that everyone would be better off without them.
In their minds they are doing the selfless thing, by taking themselves out of the picture. No, they don't think about the lives they leave behind, because either they don't think those people care about them or that they will be better off with them gone.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:19 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I do not think anyone understands suicide fully, at least there's no one here to discuss it. Plenty of people have "suicide attempts" simply to get someone to pay attention, but that's different than going through with it in a way guaranteed to kill you. Suicide is selfish, permenant solutions for temporary problems are made in poor judgement. A friend of mines father hung himself when he was 11, he was the person to find him and he was alone in the house. There was no excuse for that, no matter how mentally ill.
CutieCrab
by Jen on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:05 AM
2 moms liked this

No one knows until they are in that situation.

armywife0424
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Suicide is a selfish act, but I dint think that the person taking their life is doing it to be selfish. They're depressed abd feel it's their only out and better of they're gone yes but it doesn't change the fact that they selfishly left their families behind. It's not so black and white.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momaof8
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:08 AM

agreed 

Quoting Anonymous:

I do not think anyone understands suicide fully, at least there's no one here to discuss it. Plenty of people have "suicide attempts" simply to get someone to pay attention, but that's different than going through with it in a way guaranteed to kill you. Suicide is selfish, permenant solutions for temporary problems are made in poor judgement. A friend of mines father hung himself when he was 11, he was the person to find him and he was alone in the house. There was no excuse for that, no matter how mentally ill.

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:09 AM
Well the replies I have read saying it's selfish really sound like self centered, me, me, me people personally.

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

I love how self righteous some of you are. Must be nice to be in a position where you feel perfectly at ease to judge someone in their darkest hours.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CV3
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:12 AM
I think its SELFLESS not selfish in most true cases. Because the point is to no longer inflict yourself on the world. Also, the whole people finding you dead thing I dont understand. Dead bodies are no big deal especially if its a strangers. But then, I work in Hospice. I am also clinically depressed. So I may not be the most objective person.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:14 AM

I don't really agree, because I have suffered with horrible depression all my life and somethings that have happened to me are the EXACT reason many kill themselves, so I DO know how it feels.  Not only do I have issues, but my dh has MAJOR issues(suicidal much of the time) and my dd has emotional issues as well.  There are also times when people DO kill themselves to hurt others. It is a very selfish act.

armywife0424
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:14 AM
If someone really wanted to commit suicide they're going to be it no matter what. They dont tell puerile because then they'll be stopped. Can't you see both sides that even though someone it's depressed it's selfish to leave children and family behind?

Quoting Anonymous:

And that is why if I were having suicidal thoughts, I would not feel safe telling you about them. I would hide them. Which only makes the situation worse.

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Dumb... Just dumb... You don't think it's selfish not to think about the person who has to find you? You don't think it's selfish for you not to care how that will impact their lives??? Even if its a stranger, you're putting a horrible thing in their life because you're depressed. I will never feel sorry for someone who takes their own life. You can tell me some sad story about how they think no one cares or how they think people are better off until you're blue in the face... I will never feel a shred of sympathy for someone like that.
momaof8
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this

what are you talking about! a child finding a dead relative is no big deal!   Wow

Quoting CV3:

I think its SELFLESS not selfish in most true cases. Because the point is to no longer inflict yourself on the world. Also, the whole people finding you dead thing I dont understand. Dead bodies are no big deal especially if its a strangers. But then, I work in Hospice. I am also clinically depressed. So I may not be the most objective person.

momaof8
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:18 AM

sometimes it is not a matter of not telling anyone or not getting help

Quoting armywife0424:

If someone really wanted to commit suicide they're going to be it no matter what. They dont tell puerile because then they'll be stopped. Can't you see both sides that even though someone it's depressed it's selfish to leave children and family behind?

Quoting Anonymous:

And that is why if I were having suicidal thoughts, I would not feel safe telling you about them. I would hide them. Which only makes the situation worse.

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Dumb... Just dumb... You don't think it's selfish not to think about the person who has to find you? You don't think it's selfish for you not to care how that will impact their lives??? Even if its a stranger, you're putting a horrible thing in their life because you're depressed. I will never feel sorry for someone who takes their own life. You can tell me some sad story about how they think no one cares or how they think people are better off until you're blue in the face... I will never feel a shred of sympathy for someone like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured