Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maybe suicide is selfish, but calling it that only proves you don't understand

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When someone is severely depressed, they aren't thinking rationally. They don't see the people around them as people they can confide in. They may feel that they have messed up their lives to the point that everyone would be better off without them.
In their minds they are doing the selfless thing, by taking themselves out of the picture. No, they don't think about the lives they leave behind, because either they don't think those people care about them or that they will be better off with them gone.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:19 AM
Replies (31-40):
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:19 AM
It's their body it's their life. At least they aren't trying to mess things up for other people. That's not fair at all. We're ALL selfish.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
armywife0424
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:21 AM
I understand that, but if someone is going to commit sucide they're going to keep it a secret and kill themselves. I feel bad for people who are that depressed that they feel it's their only option but it doesnt change the fact that it's selfish.

Quoting momaof8:

sometimes it is not a matter of not telling anyone or not getting help

Quoting armywife0424:

If someone really wanted to commit suicide they're going to be it no matter what. They dont tell puerile because then they'll be stopped. Can't you see both sides that even though someone it's depressed it's selfish to leave children and family behind?

Quoting Anonymous:

And that is why if I were having suicidal thoughts, I would not feel safe telling you about them. I would hide them. Which only makes the situation worse.

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Dumb... Just dumb... You don't think it's selfish not to think about the person who has to find you? You don't think it's selfish for you not to care how that will impact their lives??? Even if its a stranger, you're putting a horrible thing in their life because you're depressed. I will never feel sorry for someone who takes their own life. You can tell me some sad story about how they think no one cares or how they think people are better off until you're blue in the face... I will never feel a shred of sympathy for someone like that.

momaof8
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM

most of the time they don't care what happens to the people around them and thats not fair

Quoting angevil53:

It's their body it's their life. At least they aren't trying to mess things up for other people. That's not fair at all. We're ALL selfish.

angevil53
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Get away from people like that. They only make you mad.

Quoting momaof8:

most of the time they don't care what happens to the people around them and thats not fair

Quoting angevil53:

CV3
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Didnt read about a child. Only heard person. A child finding a dead person...well I guess that would depend on the child, how they were raised and taught about death, how old they were and there relation to the person. For example, my three year old probably wouldnt understand it. So he probably wouldnt be traumatized. But still, I am not fazed by dead bodies and never have been so its hard for me to imagine being traumatized by it.

Quoting momaof8:

what are you talking about! a child finding a dead relative is no big deal!   Wow

Quoting CV3:

I think its SELFLESS not selfish in most true cases. Because the point is to no longer inflict yourself on the world. Also, the whole people finding you dead thing I dont understand. Dead bodies are no big deal especially if its a strangers. But then, I work in Hospice. I am also clinically depressed. So I may not be the most objective person.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:31 AM
People commit suicide for different reasons.
AdellesMom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Suicide is selfish.

When I was a teen, I thought about it. I obviously didn't commit suicide. However, when I started seeing a Therapist, I learned that it was selfish. Of course the severely depressed person that has a bleak outlook on life sees suicide as the only way out. They think that they're relieving those that are left behind. However, the people that are left behind, the people that loved the depressed person, have a different story to tell. They're left to pick up the pieces. So, in that regard it's very selfish.

When a person commits suicide, the only person their thinking about is themselves. At least, that was my experience. I was only thinking about myself. I wasn't think about my stepmother, sisters, brothers, or my father.

With that said, and only because I've been there, I try my best not to judge these situations. Every situation is unique.
XJetX
by Resident Heathen on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:38 AM
And it took something like that, something that likely traumatized my family, to realize just how selfish it is. I'm glad that I was given a second chance, but wish my parents didn't have to see me the way they did. And I'm reminded daily just how lucky I am to still be here.

Quoting momaof8:

at least you have a second chance to make it right. anyone who thinks it is always about them not being able to reach out or get help, it is not always the case.

Quoting XJetX:

This. I'll never forgive myself for making that person find me the way he did.

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Dumb... Just dumb... You don't think it's selfish not to think about the person who has to find you? You don't think it's selfish for you not to care how that will impact their lives??? Even if its a stranger, you're putting a horrible thing in their life because you're depressed. I will never feel sorry for someone who takes their own life. You can tell me some sad story about how they think no one cares or how they think people are better off until you're blue in the face... I will never feel a shred of sympathy for someone like that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momaof8
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:41 AM

exactly one of the first steps of getting beyond depression is helping others stepping beyond your own pity party. You not only help others you help yourself.    In therapy they learn how selfish of an act it is and to think of others

Quoting AdellesMom:

Suicide is selfish.

When I was a teen, I thought about it. I obviously didn't commit suicide. However, when I started seeing a Therapist, I learned that it was selfish. Of course the severely depressed person that has a bleak outlook on life sees suicide as the only way out. They think that they're relieving those that are left behind. However, the people that are left behind, the people that loved the depressed person, have a different story to tell. They're left to pick up the pieces. So, in that regard it's very selfish.

When a person commits suicide, the only person their thinking about is themselves. At least, that was my experience. I was only thinking about myself. I wasn't think about my stepmother, sisters, brothers, or my father.

With that said, and only because I've been there, I try my best not to judge these situations. Every situation is unique.

MelanieMans
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:50 AM
I'm sure kids of mothers or fathers who killed themselves like growing up without a parents and living their life believing that you coulndt make your parents happy and you were not good enough to continue living for...................................................................that's selfishness. There is nothing so bad that you have to kill yourself over. They are cowards who sit there and pull the trigger and takes them away from everything but it affects others, but why would they care about others lives, they sure didn't care about their own life.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured