Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Maybe suicide is selfish, but calling it that only proves you don't understand

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When someone is severely depressed, they aren't thinking rationally. They don't see the people around them as people they can confide in. They may feel that they have messed up their lives to the point that everyone would be better off without them.
In their minds they are doing the selfless thing, by taking themselves out of the picture. No, they don't think about the lives they leave behind, because either they don't think those people care about them or that they will be better off with them gone.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:19 AM
Replies (41-50):
MelanieMans
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure kids of mothers or fathers who killed themselves like growing up without a parents and living their life believing that you coulndt make your parents happy and you were not good enough to continue living for...................................................................that's selfishness. There is nothing so bad that you have to kill yourself over. They are cowards who sit there and pull the trigger and takes them away from everything but it affects others, but why would they care about others lives, they sure didn't care about their own life.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Reality_check
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:52 AM
agreed. but the truth is, it is selfish. whether or not they realize it. but i dont call the person themselves selfish. the act is. unless they have nothing, and no one... then its just sad.. :(

i used to be suicidal, but i snapped out of it when i FINALLY realized how much im loved, needed and cared about, regardless of what i thought about myself.
ElitestJen
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lapcounter:

Well the replies I have read saying it's selfish really sound like self centered, me, me, me people personally.

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

I love how self righteous some of you are. Must be nice to be in a position where you feel perfectly at ease to judge someone in their darkest hours.

Absolutely.  Hypocrisy at it's finest. 

It also disturbs me that some of those who have had a family member commit suicide have such negative feelings about them.  I mean, if that's how they treat/believe/think about people they supposedly love.....

It's pretty messed up.

MelanieMans
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Dead bodies don't faze me either but I would be pretty fucking upset and having panic attacks if I found my son, husband, sister,or my parents dead.........................idiot

Quoting CV3:

Didnt read about a child. Only heard person. A child finding a dead person...well I guess that would depend on the child, how they were raised and taught about death, how old they were and there relation to the person. For example, my three year old probably wouldnt understand it. So he probably wouldnt be traumatized. But still, I am not fazed by dead bodies and never have been so its hard for me to imagine being traumatized by it.

Quoting momaof8:

what are you talking about! a child finding a dead relative is no big deal!   Wow

Quoting CV3:

I think its SELFLESS not selfish in most true cases. Because the point is to no longer inflict yourself on the world. Also, the whole people finding you dead thing I dont understand. Dead bodies are no big deal especially if its a strangers. But then, I work in Hospice. I am also clinically depressed. So I may not be the most objective person.

imafuswb
by ★Rainbow Brite★ on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Not necessarily true.  Even at my lowest, I still considered it to be the most selfish thing possible.  I was already sure that I was a waste of space and a burden to those around me.  How much worse would it have been if I had killed myself and left a mess, a funeral, and all those costs for the people who found me?  No way.  It was better to keep living at least until I was away from them and no longer their responsibility.  Fortunatly, before a time ever came when I would have truly been on my own and no one's dependent/curse/whatever, I got help.

momaof8
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:04 AM

My brother hung himself after every effort to save him was made all the best medical care ect. He hung himself from my young niece and nephews swingset outside their bedroom window. They were five and six, My other brother found him in the early hours of the morning. He cut him down and worked feverishly giving him cpr. My neice and nephew were hustled out and didn't see thank god. It is selfish to end your life in a way that endangers the well being of children, he was an adult their uncle and he couldn't at least shield them ! My other brother lives with the nightmare of finding him and trying to save him. Don't tell me I don't understand!

I am angry with him because of all the love he was shown. The people who took care of him went out of their way to support him. Those are the same people he left traumatized here to deal with his selfish mess he left behind.  I think it is you who doesn't get it.
Maybe if more people stepped outside of themselves less would commit suicide.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting lapcounter:

Well the replies I have read saying it's selfish really sound like self centered, me, me, me people personally.

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

I love how self righteous some of you are. Must be nice to be in a position where you feel perfectly at ease to judge someone in their darkest hours.

Absolutely.  Hypocrisy at it's finest. 

It also disturbs me that some of those who have had a family member commit suicide have such negative feelings about them.  I mean, if that's how they treat/believe/think about people they supposedly love.....

It's pretty messed up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:05 AM
In the end it still results to being selfish, you can try to sugarcoat it but lets be honest it's selfish
ElitestJen
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Quoting momaof8:

My brother hung himself after every effort to save him was made all the best medical care ect. He hung himself from my young niece and nephews swingset outside their bedroom window. They were five and six, My other brother found him in the early hours of the morning. He cut him down and worked feverishly giving him cpr. My neice and nephew were hustled out and didn't see thank god. It is selfish to end your life in a way that endangers the well being of children, he was an adult their uncle and he couldn't at least shield them ! My other brother lives with the nightmare of finding him and trying to save him. Don't tell me I don't understand!

I am angry with him because of all the love he was shown. The people who took care of him went out of their way to support him. Those are the same people he left traumatized here to deal with his selfish mess he left behind.  I think it is you who doesn't get it.
Maybe if more people stepped outside of themselves less would commit suicide.

It's not about you.  Period. 

Anger is a part of grief, but get over yourself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Um sorry suicide is the most selfish thing a person could do. My cousin shot himself leaving his wife and four children destitute emotionally and financially. His father and my mother were left to clean his blood and brain matter off the walls of his kitchen. So yeah, selfish. If he wasn't dead already I'd kick his fucking ass.
theresaphilly
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Maybe I don't understand, but I know it is a permanent solution to a temporary problem and when a person commits suicide it leave others behind to clean up their shit. Trying to explain this to a child is very  difficult.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN