Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I sit in back with DS always

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:33 AM
  • 477 Replies
1 mom liked this
I can't believe I finally get a featured post and it happens to be something EVERYone disagrees with and makes me look like a damn helicopter when I don't mean to be.

DS is 18 months old and since the day we left the hospital I've sat in the backseat right next to him to keep him company. DH works 8-430 every week day and I don't drive anywhere unless my mom comes with and sits in back or she drives and I'm in my normal spot in the back. When he was a baby I did it because he fussed by himself, even with a mirror to see us up front, so i just started staying in back and it's never changed. Trust me there's times Id love to go somewhere during the day just him and i, but I have yet to do so because he even hates getting IN the carseat, so I'd have to calm him down before getting up front to drive somewhere. So far I've been ok with hangin out at home til DH is off and we run out errands. It's a family thing anyways, running errands.

BUT I know he CAN sit back there alone for short drives because he's done it before on three occasions where I had a doc appointment and DH drove him down the road to a Walmart to walk around until I was done. Also, I breastfeed him in the carseat when he's extremely fussy/

EDIT: I posted this not even 2 days ago and already had 140 responses by this AM, so I'm honesty not gonna read through the next 200 comments because I know now that I am the ONlY one who does this, that I am hindering him more then helping him, and that I need to change this NOW. So thanks to the moms who told me this NICELY and screw off to the women who were jerks about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:37 AM
2 moms liked this

How can you breast feed while he is in the carseat?  

I also sat in back a lot with my kids when they were younger. 

JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:38 AM
9 moms liked this
Gee, that sounds like fun.........

I've never sat in the back with my three unless no other seats are available. Even the drives home from the hospital, I was up front.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:39 AM
50 moms liked this
Ridiculous, do you never allow him to cry or fuss? I could never allow myself to be stuck at home. Too many things to do in a day that I am not going to wait for my husband to be home to do. I would feel like a prisoner. Let him learn to self sooth or your going to have a lot of problems down the road.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:40 AM
3 moms liked this
This, it's just not necessary.

Quoting JenB1983:

Gee, that sounds like fun.........

I've never sat in the back with my three unless no other seats are available. Even the drives home from the hospital, I was up front.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:40 AM
1 mom liked this
...you don't drive yourself?
momto3infl
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:41 AM
1 mom liked this

only did this for first few trips after we left hosptial.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:41 AM
4 moms liked this
You are crazy! Crying a bit will not hurt him in the least. Most babies do not like car seats but get used to them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:42 AM
What about play dates and socialization? Are you ever going to have another little one?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:44 AM
11 moms liked this

Not something I would do, but if you are happy living that way, go for it. Our second was pretty fussy about carseats, but she adjusted. Your child would be fine if you let him get used to it and then you could go anywhere you want. :) I'd say you are hindering more than helping in this situation. 

xxshelbyxxx
by Scarlet begonias on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:44 AM
Not much :/ .. I know, I'm crazy right? I only know a few other people that do this, but once he's forward facing in 6 months ill be driving alot. Then I can see him in my mirror and he can see out the window...

Quoting Anonymous:

...you don't drive yourself?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)