Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A law I actually agree with!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Here in Connecticut they are trying to pass a law that makes it illegal to smoke cigarettes in a car with children in car seats. Sorry I don't have a link though. I really hope it goes through. It's about time!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Replies (241-250):
mom2ljh
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM
I don't disagree with you. But we must start somewhere. At least with these products, there are non-toxic alternatives. When an adult smokes in the car with a minor child, that child has NO alternative to the toxic air they are forced to breath.

Quoting Jynnifer292:

Quoting mom2ljh:

Didn't CA try to do this? Did it pass there? I agree with it. Parent or not, exposure to carcinogenic toxins is NOT a choice you have the right to make for ANYBODY else, especially your own minor child.

In that case, there are a lot of corporations that should be in deep sh*t. Half of the products that we smear all over our kids are loaded with carcinogens. I am not saying that I think parents that smoke around their kids are right, just that if it is illegal to smoke around a child, it should be illegal for baby shampoo and food to have toxins in them that cause the same amount of damage.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HippiePotPie279
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM

that should be a law everywhere!!!!!!! as well as illegal to smoke in your house when there are young children.

ElitestJen
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM
It's always sweet when I see people that believe the government cares for them and their children. I can't help but want to bless their hearts. I mean, just look at all the good government does for people! LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElitestJen
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Ummm....you want to control what people do in their homes? What kinda weirdo are you?

Quoting HippiePotPie279:

that should be a law everywhere!!!!!!! as well as illegal to smoke in your house when there are young children.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raven1114
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM

So let's say the age is 15 and under that you can't smoke in the car with. Now how unless they just stop everyone they see smoking are they going to know for certain rather a kid is 15 or 14 or 16. I mean if it's obvious sure. I mean you can tell a 5 year old from a 15 year old. Those that have this law already do they randomly stop people who are smoking in a car with kids and ask a kid their age?

LectioDivina
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM

What are you talking about? We have plenty of rights as parents and most of the time our right supercede the rights of the Government. HOWEVER there is no reason why our rights should supercede the rights of our children, especially when their health is at stake.

This is not the kind of laws that let them dictate whether there is chicken or steak for dinner... these are rights that grant them power if they are being abused, sold into sexual slavery, or withheld from one of their parents illegally.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am against children having rights that supercedes any parental rights that we may have. But wait, we technically don't have any protected rights as parents, therefore the government can deem for you what is right and good for your child according to your child's wishes...

Quoting LectioDivina:

So... wait, ... You are against children having rights?

The UNCRC is about children having rights, being able to speak up for themselves, not be sold, not have capital punishment used against them and to be able to have a relationship with both parents even if they are seperated....

Almost everywhere in the world has signed on already...

Convention on the Rights of the Child.svg

lol surprise, surprise, except for us and Somalia....
Quoting Anonymous:

I think if kids are being abused physically or are neglected and are in grave danger then someone should do something. I think CPS can be and is out of control. IDK if you  ever heard of the treaty that they are trying to pass right now-UNCRC- if you haven't then you should familarize yourself with it. Scary....they can pretty much take your child away for just about anything...leaving your parental rights laying on the floor. I don't trust the government not one bit. If you haven't heard about it, I would be happy to post a video for you to watch about this treaty and what it could mean.

Quoting LectioDivina:

So, you don't believe CPS should even exist then right?.....

Quoting Anonymous:

That's the thing...the government doesn't have to...they just do. It isn't their place to legislate anyone's home or personal property.

Quoting LectioDivina:

Quoting Anonymous:

I've said this before and I'll say it agian - when and only WHEN the government pays my car payment, the car insurance, the upkeep and pays for my gas, then I'll stop smoking in my car. It is my vehicle, my PERSONAL property and I'll do what I want and when I want to in it!

As for my daughter being in the car - i have a huge truck - she usually sits in the 3rd row - I smoke up front, with the window down - and I dont chain smoke.

But until then - the goverment and their rules can suck on my titty because yet again - its my vehicle...not theirs!

It's sad when the govenment has to protect children from their own parents, but it has happened before and it will always be sad because it will always happen again.....

HippiePotPie279
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

yeah...when it comes to kids, yes I do. I don't believe I'm a weirdo at all. Thanks though.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Ummm....you want to control what people do in their homes? What kinda weirdo are you?

Quoting HippiePotPie279:

debramommyof4
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I agree with that law but there is no way people who smoke will.

HippiePotPie279
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM

oh...and what kind of weirdo misspells their own screen name? 

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting HippiePotPie279:

miss_AP
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I think it should be statutory neglect or abuse. The same for letting your kids ride without a carseat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN