Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A law I actually agree with!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Here in Connecticut they are trying to pass a law that makes it illegal to smoke cigarettes in a car with children in car seats. Sorry I don't have a link though. I really hope it goes through. It's about time!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Replies (291-300):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Some more info on UNCRC, if you are interested...

Ten things you need to know about the structure of the CRC:

Ten things you need to know about the substance of the CRC:

NiCo86
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I sure hope so! I think it should be extended to ANY child, not just children in car seats.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Good.  Someone needs to look out for the innocent children being forced to inhale toxins.

Aireeahnah
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM

It infringes our right to ''choose'' however doesn't smoking in a car with children infringe on their right to choose whether not they are exposed to secondhand smoke?

So honestly I think people should ask themselves...is it more important to have that right in your car instead of just smoking before or after you are in your vehicle and giving a right to your kids to be free of that garbage?

Quoting Anonymous:

While I agree it is bad to smoke in the car with children; I have to disagree with this law.  It is once again infringing on our rights to "choose".  Here in Oklahoma they are trying to take our choice away for smoking in public places, such as bars, parks, ect.  I do not smoke, however when I take my children to the park they do not just randomly go up to people who are smoking and stay near them..............

CafeMom Tickers
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM

So far, this keeps getting rejected in our country, and for good reason.  Children should not have more rights than their parents.  Ever.  With, of course, the exception of the right to not be abused or neglected.

Quoting Anonymous:

babiesbabybaby development

Anonymous
by Anonymous 40 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Yet you can legally fuck a 16 year old.

Quoting CamsMommy0731:

Here in Ontario, Canada, you can't smoke it a car with someone under 18 or around any public building within 10 yards of any entrance

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM

It is more important to have the right to choose, every time, hands down. I don't even smoke. But ask yourself, what is next? Yes, it is bad to smoke around your kids. But it is worse to allow the government to dictate your life and personal property. Why would you just hand over your rights to the government. It isn't about the smoking at all. It's the bigger picture.

Quoting Aireeahnah:

It infringes our right to ''choose'' however doesn't smoking in a car with children infringe on their right to choose whether not they are exposed to secondhand smoke?

So honestly I think people should ask themselves...is it more important to have that right in your car instead of just smoking before or after you are in your vehicle and giving a right to your kids to be free of that garbage?

Quoting Anonymous:

While I agree it is bad to smoke in the car with children; I have to disagree with this law.  It is once again infringing on our rights to "choose".  Here in Oklahoma they are trying to take our choice away for smoking in public places, such as bars, parks, ect.  I do not smoke, however when I take my children to the park they do not just randomly go up to people who are smoking and stay near them..............

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I agree. I was debating with another lady who is for this treaty, but I don't think she fully understands the ramifications of it. Yes kids should be protected, and they should have rights to be free from abuse, but this is SCARY!

Quoting kailu1835:

So far, this keeps getting rejected in our country, and for good reason.  Children should not have more rights than their parents.  Ever.  With, of course, the exception of the right to not be abused or neglected.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lilcountrygrl86
by Amber on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Well in California its already illegal to smoke with kids in the car, period.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Just jumping in here, I've seen firsthand the effects of smoking around children.  I used to work in family care, and there were a few kids with extreme asthma, and the parents were avid smokers.  When asked, they would all insist that they never smoked around their kids, only outside, etc.  Then I'd watch them light up outside, and climb into the car with the kids.  I felt so bad for their kids.  I know that smoking around kids is extremely dangerous, and feel that if you do it, you are abusing your children.  There is no reason why children should have to live their lives with breathing problems because of your selfish desire to light up.

Quoting Aireeahnah:

Quoting Anonymous:

babiesbabybaby development

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN