Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A law I actually agree with!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Here in Connecticut they are trying to pass a law that makes it illegal to smoke cigarettes in a car with children in car seats. Sorry I don't have a link though. I really hope it goes through. It's about time!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:43 AM
9 moms liked this

While I agree it is bad to smoke in the car with children; I have to disagree with this law.  It is once again infringing on our rights to "choose".  Here in Oklahoma they are trying to take our choice away for smoking in public places, such as bars, parks, ect.  I do not smoke, however when I take my children to the park they do not just randomly go up to people who are smoking and stay near them..............

BlessedBeX3
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:45 AM

that is great! finally! I wish they would do there here in az. OMG i remember my aunt smoking a cig in the car and my cousin was the in the back seat behind her with the window down and when my aunt flicked her cig the ember got my cousin in the eye. she was li ke 13 at the time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:45 AM
I thought the same thing, but we have a ban on texting/holding a cell phone while driving and our police have done a good job enforcing that law. It's not perfect, there will always be people that get away with it anyway... But it's a start in the right direction.

Quoting anyotherday:

in maine it's illegal with anyone under 16 in the car. 

I think nanny state laws are bullshit. There arent enough cops to enforce the laws, it is too easy to hide a cigarette while driving, and most people who are stupid enough to smoke in the car wiht kids arent going to listen to the laws. None of the smoking families I know do anyway... and like I said, we are in maine where it is illegal to smoke in the car wiht ANYONE under 16 in the car

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this
And children should have the right to a healthy life! In a perfect world parents would be smart enough to choose their children's health over their own stupidity... But they don't!

Quoting Anonymous:

While I agree it is bad to smoke in the car with children; I have to disagree with this law.  It is once again infringing on our rights to "choose".  Here in Oklahoma they are trying to take our choice away for smoking in public places, such as bars, parks, ect.  I do not smoke, however when I take my children to the park they do not just randomly go up to people who are smoking and stay near them..............

BlessedBeX3
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:47 AM

its not like they are saying that everyone has to stop smoking. its one simple thing, dont smoke with your children in the car

Quoting Anonymous:

peaches_04
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this
Just what we need one more excuse for parents to get their kid out of a carseat earlier.
Dumbest law ever
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Ugh. My gram was a smoker and my dad said that happened to him as a kid all the time. So mean!

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

that is great! finally! I wish they would do there here in az. OMG i remember my aunt smoking a cig in the car and my cousin was the in the back seat behind her with the window down and when my aunt flicked her cig the ember got my cousin in the eye. she was li ke 13 at the time.

peaches_04
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM
They passed that here in mn about a decade ago

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM
3 moms liked this

My Mom smoked in the car with us, she also smoked with both her pregnancies.  We were not low birthweight at all.  We do not have breathing issues, ect.  It was my Mom's choice to have us and it was her choice to smoke around us and in the car.  It was my choice to not smoke.  My children can make that choice for themselves.  Everyone makes unhealthy choices daily.  Such as junk food, ect.  Should be rid our houses of junk food if we have children?  Remember there is an epidemic of child obesity............

Quoting Anonymous:

And children should have the right to a healthy life! In a perfect world parents would be smart enough to choose their children's health over their own stupidity... But they don't!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Do they have it in Texas?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)