Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A law I actually agree with!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Here in Connecticut they are trying to pass a law that makes it illegal to smoke cigarettes in a car with children in car seats. Sorry I don't have a link though. I really hope it goes through. It's about time!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Replies (281-290):
MeAndTommyLee
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Basically the government found a way to create revenue to write more tickets.  Just wait for someone is jailed and charged with child something-or-other for smoking in their car.  Bad idea.  Legal nightmare. 

KMadsen
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM

GOOD!!

nelliesmommy
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:04 PM

good

jamamama00
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM

AMEN!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 39 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I agree that people shouldn't smoke with their kids in the car, but a law, no.  The government is already pushing themselves way to far into our lives.  

LilByrd
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Yay! We need that law in Florida. In one hand it is not right to tell people what they can/can't do in a car they bought but on the the other hand kids need protection sometimes from there own parents.

the4mutts
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM
In CA its illegal to smoke with a person under 18 in your car, and they WILL pull your ass over if there is any suspicion.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

We do not have any Constitutionally protected rights as parents. I understand it isn't about steak or chicken for dinner. It is way more serious that that. Here is an example, if this treaty were ratified:

An Air Force mom on a month long deployment, has their child taken away because authorities say the child was "abandoned".

A "guardian" is appointed to monitor your child frm birth, and charged with the legal responsibility to evaluate your decisions as a parent, and obligated to intervene if they see any violations of your child's rights.

Children start sex ed at 4, regardless of the parent's beliefs, values or convictions.

Parent's could be imprisoned if they don't provide mandatory vaccinations that the government deem neccesary.

Your childs medical records could be stored in a national database that any teacher, doctor, or government social worker can access at any time without your consent.

The Treaty sounds harmless and like it is a good thing to protect children. But it also demands that the governments interfere in the decisions of individual families and parents. You may think that all of the scenarios I listed above are just make believe, but these are things that have happened in the  other 193 countries that have adopted this treaty. And that is what I have issue with. This is not America.

Quoting LectioDivina:

What are you talking about? We have plenty of rights as parents and most of the time our right supercede the rights of the Government. HOWEVER there is no reason why our rights should supercede the rights of our children, especially when their health is at stake.

This is not the kind of laws that let them dictate whether there is chicken or steak for dinner... these are rights that grant them power if they are being abused, sold into sexual slavery, or withheld from one of their parents illegally.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am against children having rights that supercedes any parental rights that we may have. But wait, we technically don't have any protected rights as parents, therefore the government can deem for you what is right and good for your child according to your child's wishes...

Quoting LectioDivina:

So... wait, ... You are against children having rights?

The UNCRC is about children having rights, being able to speak up for themselves, not be sold, not have capital punishment used against them and to be able to have a relationship with both parents even if they are seperated....

Almost everywhere in the world has signed on already...

Convention on the Rights of the Child.svg

lol surprise, surprise, except for us and Somalia....
Quoting Anonymous:

I think if kids are being abused physically or are neglected and are in grave danger then someone should do something. I think CPS can be and is out of control. IDK if you  ever heard of the treaty that they are trying to pass right now-UNCRC- if you haven't then you should familarize yourself with it. Scary....they can pretty much take your child away for just about anything...leaving your parental rights laying on the floor. I don't trust the government not one bit. If you haven't heard about it, I would be happy to post a video for you to watch about this treaty and what it could mean.

Quoting LectioDivina:

So, you don't believe CPS should even exist then right?.....

Quoting Anonymous:

That's the thing...the government doesn't have to...they just do. It isn't their place to legislate anyone's home or personal property.

Quoting LectioDivina:

Quoting Anonymous:

I've said this before and I'll say it agian - when and only WHEN the government pays my car payment, the car insurance, the upkeep and pays for my gas, then I'll stop smoking in my car. It is my vehicle, my PERSONAL property and I'll do what I want and when I want to in it!

As for my daughter being in the car - i have a huge truck - she usually sits in the 3rd row - I smoke up front, with the window down - and I dont chain smoke.

But until then - the goverment and their rules can suck on my titty because yet again - its my vehicle...not theirs!

It's sad when the govenment has to protect children from their own parents, but it has happened before and it will always be sad because it will always happen again.....

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I agree with that law as well

Anonymous
by Anonymous 36 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM
It's 16 and not all the time

Quoting the4mutts:

In CA its illegal to smoke with a person under 18 in your car, and they WILL pull your ass over if there is any suspicion.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN