Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A law I actually agree with!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Here in Connecticut they are trying to pass a law that makes it illegal to smoke cigarettes in a car with children in car seats. Sorry I don't have a link though. I really hope it goes through. It's about time!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Replies (301-310):
JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Soda can be very dangerous for who?A diabetic?
And vaccines being mandatory? Comparing that too not allowing cig smoke in a car with children is apple and oranges!!!
And a responsible gun owner poses NO risk to children. Get a grip.

Oh, and i decided to be so immature when i realized i was speaking to a child. You keep going out on every limb you can to prove your point...that is lame and irrelevant at best.

Quoting Anonymous:

Soda can be just as dangerous for people. By the way, that wasn't my only comparison. I also used mandatory vaccines and firearms.

And "have a shitty day"? How mature.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

I'm sorry if you feel that just because a parent smokes they should be allowed to smoke in the car with children. I'm also sorry you think that soda and cigarettes are equally dangerous.

Have a shitty day..

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry your argument was so transparent. Have a nice day!

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Lmfao...because limiting the sizes sold are protecting children.. Whatever. I'm done debating with you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, you are. You don't care about actually protecting children in all ways, you're just on an anti-smoking campaign.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Ummm no, im not. Would you like the definition of hypocrite?

Quoting Anonymous:

So you're a hypocrite. Nice.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Actually, i think that law is stupid and pointless. You can just buy two sodas then! Lol..
Besides, as much as I wish cigarettes didn't exist, I still feel do what you want to yourself, just leave innocents out of it. Ex: smoke, but not where your second hand smoke will harm another. Drink, but do not drive. Etc...
Quoting Anonymous:

You agree with Bloomberg limiting soda sizes? What if the government started making vaccines mandatory?
Quoting JDmommyJD:

Im ok with laws that protect children. Simple as that.

Quoting Anonymous:

So you are ok with a nanny state?

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Harming your child should not be allowed, period. You can't choke your children, so you can't blow smoke down their throats, choking them by proxy, either.

It is sad that a law would have to be made, but some are selfish.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't even smoke. I just really disagree with the government legislating what people can and can't do with their own children. Where will it end? We are just voluntarily handing them our personal rights and think it's ok. It's scary.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

With food, everything in moderation is fine! My healthy, average weight kids enjoy cookies and cakes...while remaining healthy!

Smoking in moderation is NOT fine, and second hand smoke is worse. You can not smoke sometimes and guarantee you will not give your kid asthma or lung cancer. While I can guarantee the piece of birthday cake my kid had the other day did nothing but pass in his shit!

You people can try all you want, but smoking is never healthy, nice, fine, ok, pleasant, etc.

You want to kill yourself, fine. Leave your kids out of it!

Quoting Anonymous:

So you'll be just as ok when the government tells you what you can and can't feed your own children?

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Lmfao, no shit genius.

It is an example of how just because someone is unharmed doing something, doesn't mean someone else will not be harmed doing the same dangerous act.

Quoting Anonymous:

Drinking and smoking are two different things

Quoting JDmommyJD:

She did it and you were ok, so everyone who does will have healthy babies? Consider yourself lucky.
someone drives home drunk and makes it just fine, that doesn't mean the next drunk driver isn't going to hit someone and kill them. Your logic is illogical!
Quoting Anonymous:

My mother smoked while pregnant with me and through out my whole life and I'm just fine. I don't smoke but its not like my kid is never around it. They are going crazy with these laws

Quoting shylynn22:

Yes, its horrible to try to protect a child from their ignorant our indifferent parents. As long as it good for them who cares if it hurts the baby? Health of children is so inconvenient.

Quoting Anonymous:

They are going crazy with these laws. What's next illegal to smoke in your own home? Illegal to smoke in the backyard?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KTU
by Kim on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM

That's awesome! Hopefully, it will pass.

kailu1835
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I was talking to a lady from australia on here the other day, and it's scary the rights kids have over there.  If I'm not misunderstanding, at 14, you can be emancipated from your parents for no reason, with absolutely no way to provide for yourself, your parents are still legally responsible for you but can't control anything you do, and the government will pay you 1000 bucks a month.  Seriously???  I'm glad it takes a lot for kids to get emancipated here.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. I was debating with another lady who is for this treaty, but I don't think she fully understands the ramifications of it. Yes kids should be protected, and they should have rights to be free from abuse, but this is SCARY!

Quoting kailu1835:

So far, this keeps getting rejected in our country, and for good reason.  Children should not have more rights than their parents.  Ever.  With, of course, the exception of the right to not be abused or neglected.

Quoting Anonymous:

Some more info on UNCRC, if you are interested...

Ten things you need to know about the structure of the CRC:

Ten things you need to know about the substance of the CRC:

babiesbabybaby development

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM

See, that's what scares me about laws like this. While, I agree that parents shouldn't smoke in a car with children, I don't think making a law forbiding it is the right thing to do. I think it just gives the government another foot in the door, and that is something we don't need. It is one thing for them to ban smoking in any public places, we have that law here, it is entirely different when the government tells you what you can do in your own property. I don't feel it is the job of the government to "protect" kids from their own parents, so long as they are not in grave and immediate danger.

Quoting kailu1835:

I was talking to a lady from australia on here the other day, and it's scary the rights kids have over there.  If I'm not misunderstanding, at 14, you can be emancipated from your parents for no reason, with absolutely no way to provide for yourself, your parents are still legally responsible for you but can't control anything you do, and the government will pay you 1000 bucks a month.  Seriously???  I'm glad it takes a lot for kids to get emancipated here.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. I was debating with another lady who is for this treaty, but I don't think she fully understands the ramifications of it. Yes kids should be protected, and they should have rights to be free from abuse, but this is SCARY!

Quoting kailu1835:

So far, this keeps getting rejected in our country, and for good reason.  Children should not have more rights than their parents.  Ever.  With, of course, the exception of the right to not be abused or neglected.

Quoting Anonymous:

Some more info on UNCRC, if you are interested...

Ten things you need to know about the structure of the CRC:

Ten things you need to know about the substance of the CRC:

Ali5683
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM

This is a wonderful law!! I think smoking around children should be illegal as well. I get so angry when I see a driver smoking with kids in the back seat! So incredible selfish and disgusting!

Mel0dy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Here in Canada its illegal to smoke with children in the car. I think its a great law and I am a smoker. 

Mel0dy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM

My SO gets soooo mad when he sees that and were both smokers ( we NEVER smoke around dd) 

Quoting Ali5683:

This is a wonderful law!! I think smoking around children should be illegal as well. I get so angry when I see a driver smoking with kids in the back seat! So incredible selfish and disgusting!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:02 PM
I thought it was anyone under 18?

Quoting KerryK:

In California it is illegal to smoke with anyone under 16 in the car.

dmariem8
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I think its a law in NY already. GOOD!!

Ali5683
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Good to know there are others who get it. Although, you should quit smoking... ;)

Quoting Mel0dy:

My SO gets soooo mad when he sees that and were both smokers ( we NEVER smoke around dd) 

Quoting Ali5683:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)