Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A law I actually agree with!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Here in Connecticut they are trying to pass a law that makes it illegal to smoke cigarettes in a car with children in car seats. Sorry I don't have a link though. I really hope it goes through. It's about time!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Replies (311-320):
MorphineDoll3
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM
That's good because I've been hit by a dam lit cigarette being tossed out of both windows and ashes by parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mel0dy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Yes I want to soooo bad. I have tried so many times and I always fail. I am going to try seeing a doctor about it, I cant do it on my own lol I need help from the doctor. 

Quoting Ali5683:

Good to know there are others who get it. Although, you should quit smoking... ;)

Quoting Mel0dy:

My SO gets soooo mad when he sees that and were both smokers ( we NEVER smoke around dd) 

Quoting Ali5683:

This is a wonderful law!! I think smoking around children should be illegal as well. I get so angry when I see a driver smoking with kids in the back seat! So incredible selfish and disgusting!

mypbandj
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM

LOVE that idea but how will they enforce it? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 42 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM

It is not the governments business what i do on my own private property. I will never move to one of these states. 

MommaTasha1003
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM

You shouldnt smoke in the car with a kid... DUH!

But I dont agree there should be a law for it.. 

I grew up with smoking parents, they smoked with me in the car.. Yes it was horrible. But I dont think a law would have helped..Most smokers just dont get how harsh that smell it!

Ali5683
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I've heard that hypnosis can work too. Have you thought about that?

Quoting Mel0dy:

Yes I want to soooo bad. I have tried so many times and I always fail. I am going to try seeing a doctor about it, I cant do it on my own lol I need help from the doctor. 

Quoting Ali5683:

Good to know there are others who get it. Although, you should quit smoking... ;)

Quoting Mel0dy:

My SO gets soooo mad when he sees that and were both smokers ( we NEVER smoke around dd) 

Quoting Ali5683:

This is a wonderful law!! I think smoking around children should be illegal as well. I get so angry when I see a driver smoking with kids in the back seat! So incredible selfish and disgusting!

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM

DH would still smoke in the car. Getting in the car is one of his triggers. He always rolls his window down and keeps the cig by the window so all smoke goes out the window though.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:29 PM

The reason I agree with the smoking law is that you are causing physical harm to your child.  You can get lung cancer from second hand smoke, and they've even been able to show affects from third hand smoke (smoke that is left on the carpet, drapes, clothing, etc).  So they ARE in grave and immediate, as well as long term, danger.  If it weren't for that part, then I'd disagree with the law as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

See, that's what scares me about laws like this. While, I agree that parents shouldn't smoke in a car with children, I don't think making a law forbiding it is the right thing to do. I think it just gives the government another foot in the door, and that is something we don't need. It is one thing for them to ban smoking in any public places, we have that law here, it is entirely different when the government tells you what you can do in your own property. I don't feel it is the job of the government to "protect" kids from their own parents, so long as they are not in grave and immediate danger.

Quoting kailu1835:

I was talking to a lady from australia on here the other day, and it's scary the rights kids have over there.  If I'm not misunderstanding, at 14, you can be emancipated from your parents for no reason, with absolutely no way to provide for yourself, your parents are still legally responsible for you but can't control anything you do, and the government will pay you 1000 bucks a month.  Seriously???  I'm glad it takes a lot for kids to get emancipated here.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. I was debating with another lady who is for this treaty, but I don't think she fully understands the ramifications of it. Yes kids should be protected, and they should have rights to be free from abuse, but this is SCARY!

Quoting kailu1835:

So far, this keeps getting rejected in our country, and for good reason.  Children should not have more rights than their parents.  Ever.  With, of course, the exception of the right to not be abused or neglected.

Quoting Anonymous:

Some more info on UNCRC, if you are interested...

Ten things you need to know about the structure of the CRC:

Ten things you need to know about the substance of the CRC:

babiesbabybaby development

myloves.050709
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I don't smoke and if I did, I wouldn't do it around my kids.  Although there is still 3rd hand smoke.  I also would not want anyone I know to smoke around my kids.  Luckily my family does not smoke either.  I think it's sad that laws have to be made because people are not mature enough nor posess common sense to not smoke with their kids in the car. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 43 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Quoting anyotherday:

in maine it's illegal with anyone under 16 in the car. 

I think nanny state laws are bullshit. There arent enough cops to enforce the laws, it is too easy to hide a cigarette while driving, and most people who are stupid enough to smoke in the car wiht kids arent going to listen to the laws. None of the smoking families I know do anyway... and like I said, we are in maine where it is illegal to smoke in the car wiht ANYONE under 16 in the car

While stupid people keep having children we need laws like this. Nobody is expecting the police to have a stake out for smoking parents, but if a police officer pulls someone over and they are smoking with small children in the car, they now have the authority to slap a ticket on them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)