Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A law I actually agree with!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Here in Connecticut they are trying to pass a law that makes it illegal to smoke cigarettes in a car with children in car seats. Sorry I don't have a link though. I really hope it goes through. It's about time!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Replies (321-330):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM

No the danger isn't immediate. I don't know anyone who has fallen over dead from inhaling cigarette smoke on initial contact. Immediate danger to a child would be taking that cigarette and burning them with it, or beating them, or worse. They could immediately be in danger for their lives. There have been many a child that grew up in homes with parents who smoked, myself included, and never felt "in danger". That is not a reason to punish a parent or take a child away from their parent. I would have been highly upset if I were removed from my home because my Dad smoked around me. So comparing it to abuse is not adequate.

Quoting kailu1835:

The reason I agree with the smoking law is that you are causing physical harm to your child.  You can get lung cancer from second hand smoke, and they've even been able to show affects from third hand smoke (smoke that is left on the carpet, drapes, clothing, etc).  So they ARE in grave and immediate, as well as long term, danger.  If it weren't for that part, then I'd disagree with the law as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

See, that's what scares me about laws like this. While, I agree that parents shouldn't smoke in a car with children, I don't think making a law forbiding it is the right thing to do. I think it just gives the government another foot in the door, and that is something we don't need. It is one thing for them to ban smoking in any public places, we have that law here, it is entirely different when the government tells you what you can do in your own property. I don't feel it is the job of the government to "protect" kids from their own parents, so long as they are not in grave and immediate danger.

Quoting kailu1835:

I was talking to a lady from australia on here the other day, and it's scary the rights kids have over there.  If I'm not misunderstanding, at 14, you can be emancipated from your parents for no reason, with absolutely no way to provide for yourself, your parents are still legally responsible for you but can't control anything you do, and the government will pay you 1000 bucks a month.  Seriously???  I'm glad it takes a lot for kids to get emancipated here.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. I was debating with another lady who is for this treaty, but I don't think she fully understands the ramifications of it. Yes kids should be protected, and they should have rights to be free from abuse, but this is SCARY!

Quoting kailu1835:

So far, this keeps getting rejected in our country, and for good reason.  Children should not have more rights than their parents.  Ever.  With, of course, the exception of the right to not be abused or neglected.

Quoting Anonymous:

Some more info on UNCRC, if you are interested...

Ten things you need to know about the structure of the CRC:

Ten things you need to know about the substance of the CRC:

JLS2388
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I think it should

HuggaBug1991
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I agree!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Laws DON'T have to be made to do this though! And they shouldn't be made to do it either.

Quoting myloves.050709:

I don't smoke and if I did, I wouldn't do it around my kids.  Although there is still 3rd hand smoke.  I also would not want anyone I know to smoke around my kids.  Luckily my family does not smoke either.  I think it's sad that laws have to be made because people are not mature enough nor posess common sense to not smoke with their kids in the car. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Quoting SalemWitchChild:

DH would still smoke in the car. Getting in the car is one of his triggers. He always rolls his window down and keeps the cig by the window so all smoke goes out the window though.

No it doesn't! He needs to stop that nonsense! It's trashy and unhealthy for your children!
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I don't smoke. No one in my family does. I do not know how they are going to enforce it. While I think it is terrible to smoke in the car with kids, I am not sure this law is enforceable.

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM

No he doesn't what? Doesn't roll his window down? Yes he does, I insist on it. Moreover, he insists on it as well. In the house he also smokes in the bathroom with the vent on, or goes outside.

It is unhealthy. Not arguing that point. But I'm not about to agree to more laws to police our choices.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

DH would still smoke in the car. Getting in the car is one of his triggers. He always rolls his window down and keeps the cig by the window so all smoke goes out the window though.

No it doesn't! He needs to stop that nonsense! It's trashy and unhealthy for your children!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Quoting SalemWitchChild:

No it doesn't all go out the window, that's just silly! Tell him to take that shit outside and stop trying to kill your children! It's 2013 for goodness sake, unless you people live under a rock you know how unhealthy second hand smoke is!
lilliannsmom1
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Same in Arkansas. They started it as illegal to smoke with anyone 6 and under then a couple years later changed it to 16 years.

Quoting KerryK:

In California it is illegal to smoke with anyone under 16 in the car.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pegleg50
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I think the law should also be passed EVERYWHEREEEE! I think it should be illegal to smoke around children under 16 at all times! It is pathetic people actually are OK with poisoning childrens bodies.FUCKING SELFISH AND PATHETIC

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)