Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A law I actually agree with!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Here in Connecticut they are trying to pass a law that makes it illegal to smoke cigarettes in a car with children in car seats. Sorry I don't have a link though. I really hope it goes through. It's about time!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Replies (741-749):
polkaspots
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:46 AM
You're probably right about that. One thing I am looking forward to is a house. We live in an apartment now, but I'm hoping when we move we'll have some sort of screened area in the yard where I could smoke inside. I still feel so bad leaving the house to smoke even though I take the video monitor and only go during nap time.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Even if you had a car I bet you still wouldn't do it because you already made the smart decision not to expose your child to second and third hand smoke. It became unbelievably easy after we actually stopped smoking in the cars and cleaned them out top to bottom a week before DS came home from the hospital. We don't even drive my bfs car cuz we have my van, so technically he could smoke in his car on the way to and from work but he doesn't because he says how much he likes and notices the fresh clean air in his car.

Quoting polkaspots:

It helps that I don't have a car. I'd be tempted to sit in the car and smoke instead of standing in the rain and snow. I still wouldn't do it though. My parents always used to smoke in the car, even though my mom denies it now that she quit a few years ago.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

This right here! You said exactly what I was gonna say! I smoke too but I've never smoked in my home, never in either one of our cars. I kno someone on CM who replied to a mom confession post awhile back and said "I smoke with my baby in the backseat but windows rolled down" and I said "your baby's inhaling all of that, even if the windows are down! You don't think any smoke gets back there?" And she said "no I don't blow it towards him."

People are so naive and just in denial if they actually believe that! Kudos to you mama for putting your babies first! I wish that's what every mom did. There'd be less kids with ashtma and lung problems.

Quoting polkaspots:

I'm a smoker and I agree with this too. I don't smoke in enclosed areas that my children go in. I would rather stand outside in the snow at three am when they're both sleeping than have them inhale my smoke. I only smoke in my best friends car. She has no kids and has only driven mine around a few times.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxshelbyxxx
by Scarlet begonias on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM
SO and I switch off so someone's always with DS and I've actually cut down to only one real cig a day in the AM before SO leaves for work, and the rest of the day I smoke electronic cigarettes. I'm so happy I tried them out and stuck with it because soon ill be completely done smoking regular cigs. I mean one a day now compared to my pack a day a few months back, is a huge improvement ya know? I don't bash mothers who smoke nor do I try to tell them their bad moms and need to quit, unlike alot of the moms on here that've given me shit for smoking. But I DO explain the electronic cigs to moms who smoke because it worked for me and I believe it can work for anyone if they truly wanna quit. I'm so amazed at how easy it was after a few months of replacing regular cigs with the ecigs. I'm sure uoive already heard of them but in case you haven't : there's no chemicals in them, unlike the 200+ cancerous chems in regular tobacco, there's no odor or smoke, just water vapor, so you can smoke anywhere you want indoors and it won't effect your children or make you smell like gross smoke. I usually wash my hands after each smoke anyways and use mouthwash, but still the third hand smoke stays on your breath for 15 minutes after your last cig. And one last thing: I read a study on ecigs that showed if every smoker in the USA switched from regular cigs to ecigs, the death toll from lung cancer and other smoking related deaths would go down to 4,000 from 400,000 a year!!

Quoting polkaspots:

You're probably right about that. One thing I am looking forward to is a house. We live in an apartment now, but I'm hoping when we move we'll have some sort of screened area in the yard where I could smoke inside. I still feel so bad leaving the house to smoke even though I take the video monitor and only go during nap time.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Even if you had a car I bet you still wouldn't do it because you already made the smart decision not to expose your child to second and third hand smoke. It became unbelievably easy after we actually stopped smoking in the cars and cleaned them out top to bottom a week before DS came home from the hospital. We don't even drive my bfs car cuz we have my van, so technically he could smoke in his car on the way to and from work but he doesn't because he says how much he likes and notices the fresh clean air in his car.

Quoting polkaspots:

It helps that I don't have a car. I'd be tempted to sit in the car and smoke instead of standing in the rain and snow. I still wouldn't do it though. My parents always used to smoke in the car, even though my mom denies it now that she quit a few years ago.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

This right here! You said exactly what I was gonna say! I smoke too but I've never smoked in my home, never in either one of our cars. I kno someone on CM who replied to a mom confession post awhile back and said "I smoke with my baby in the backseat but windows rolled down" and I said "your baby's inhaling all of that, even if the windows are down! You don't think any smoke gets back there?" And she said "no I don't blow it towards him."

People are so naive and just in denial if they actually believe that! Kudos to you mama for putting your babies first! I wish that's what every mom did. There'd be less kids with ashtma and lung problems.

Quoting polkaspots:

I'm a smoker and I agree with this too. I don't smoke in enclosed areas that my children go in. I would rather stand outside in the snow at three am when they're both sleeping than have them inhale my smoke. I only smoke in my best friends car. She has no kids and has only driven mine around a few times.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
notabosley
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Great idea :-)
polkaspots
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM
I've actually been considering the fakeys for a while because my best friend uses than, but I haven't yet. I think I might try one of here and see if I like it. I live in NYC and packs are roughly twelve dollars here so it would be nice to cut down a little.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

SO and I switch off so someone's always with DS and I've actually cut down to only one real cig a day in the AM before SO leaves for work, and the rest of the day I smoke electronic cigarettes. I'm so happy I tried them out and stuck with it because soon ill be completely done smoking regular cigs. I mean one a day now compared to my pack a day a few months back, is a huge improvement ya know? I don't bash mothers who smoke nor do I try to tell them their bad moms and need to quit, unlike alot of the moms on here that've given me shit for smoking. But I DO explain the electronic cigs to moms who smoke because it worked for me and I believe it can work for anyone if they truly wanna quit. I'm so amazed at how easy it was after a few months of replacing regular cigs with the ecigs. I'm sure uoive already heard of them but in case you haven't : there's no chemicals in them, unlike the 200+ cancerous chems in regular tobacco, there's no odor or smoke, just water vapor, so you can smoke anywhere you want indoors and it won't effect your children or make you smell like gross smoke. I usually wash my hands after each smoke anyways and use mouthwash, but still the third hand smoke stays on your breath for 15 minutes after your last cig. And one last thing: I read a study on ecigs that showed if every smoker in the USA switched from regular cigs to ecigs, the death toll from lung cancer and other smoking related deaths would go down to 4,000 from 400,000 a year!!

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxshelbyxxx
by Scarlet begonias on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:30 AM
Holy crap! I'd never be able to afford cigs at 12 a pack! In Cleveland they're 4-6 a pack. I'm so glad I don't buy them anymore, my bf still smokes a pack a day so I just take my 1 real cig a day from his pack. Fakeys is a cool name lol. They do have nicotine in them so technically they're not fake. Before tobacco companies put all those chemicals into their product, the cigs were just tobacco with nicotine in them, not a bunch of hazardous chems. I pay $20 every two weeks for 10 filters to come in the mail and each filter is equal to 1 pack of cigs.. So it's saved me a lot of $. Try it out mama and lemme know how it goes! :) good luck! ECigs is the brand I smoke, I haven't fojnd any other that I like the taste of.

Quoting polkaspots:

I've actually been considering the fakeys for a while because my best friend uses than, but I haven't yet. I think I might try one of here and see if I like it. I live in NYC and packs are roughly twelve dollars here so it would be nice to cut down a little.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Quoting polkaspots:

polkaspots
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM
$12 is a lot, but it's my only vice. My husband spends as much on soda and video games as I spend on cigarettes.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Holy crap! I'd never be able to afford cigs at 12 a pack! In Cleveland they're 4-6 a pack. I'm so glad I don't buy them anymore, my bf still smokes a pack a day so I just take my 1 real cig a day from his pack. Fakeys is a cool name lol. They do have nicotine in them so technically they're not fake. Before tobacco companies put all those chemicals into their product, the cigs were just tobacco with nicotine in them, not a bunch of hazardous chems. I pay $20 every two weeks for 10 filters to come in the mail and each filter is equal to 1 pack of cigs.. So it's saved me a lot of $. Try it out mama and lemme know how it goes! :) good luck! ECigs is the brand I smoke, I haven't fojnd any other that I like the taste of.

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
workingmommy87
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:36 PM

i wish were banned all together.

Karla1948
by VS 120 Lady on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:01 AM

I buy by the carton. $60 a carton, lasts me about a week. For me also, it's all I do.

Quoting polkaspots:

$12 is a lot, but it's my only vice. My husband spends as much on soda and video games as I spend on cigarettes.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Janna32489
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:10 AM
I think it should be a law in all states. For anyone in the car under the age that can buy cigs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)