Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

child stuttering

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

About 2-3 months ago I noticed that my 3.5 year old DD was having a really hard time getting her words out. For example it's "g-g-g-g-get", "f-f-f-for", you get the idea. She will get really frustrated and just kind of yell, if that makes sense. I have received mixed opinions from family. Some saying it's normal and others saying it's not. 

I think it's probably a good idea to get her checked out at some point, but the point of this post was really to see if anyone else has a small child who did this and grew out of it, or a child that has continued the stutter.

Thanks

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:17 AM

My nephew did at that age. My sister took him to a speech therapist to help him.

dorfmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Stuttering is a totally normal phase for a child that age. Their brains are just moving faster than they can talk. I was told if it persists for a lengthy amount of time then it would be good to get my son evaluated. He stuttered on and off for maybe 6-8 months, and then it just stopped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM

That makes a lot of sense. She's definitely a chatter box.

Quoting dorfmama:

Stuttering is a totally normal phase for a child that age. Their brains are just moving faster than they can talk. I was told if it persists for a lengthy amount of time then it would be good to get my son evaluated. He stuttered on and off for maybe 6-8 months, and then it just stopped.

dorfmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM
I was told that by 2 different speech therapists that I am friends with, so I totally trust the advice. I'd give your daughter a little time to see if it clears up.

Quoting Anonymous:

That makes a lot of sense. She's definitely a chatter box.

Quoting dorfmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM
That's what I was told too. The school speech therapist evaluated him as part of the entire set of evaluations they did and says he's above the 99th percentile for speech now. now He stuttered for a good 2 years at least.

Quoting dorfmama:

Sasha-
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

My hubby stutters,  he told me his sister did to but she outgrew it.  Its rare for a female to stutter, not saying it doesn't happen but its rare.  At 3.5 it could be normal, my hubby says just tell her to relax and not get frustrated,  he says if she still stutters between 4-5 have her checked out.  He also says do not make a big deal out of it and cause attention to it.  She might get a complex or it will develope into a spiral. 

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:33 AM
When I stuttered my mom was told to hang on to my every word to make me feel unrushed and listened to. She said that put a stop to it real quick.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SunshineBird
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:33 AM
My dd did the same thing. It happens right before a big language explosion. Just be patient, their brain is working faster than their mouth. DD stopped stuttering after about a month and a half.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM

The first couple days she did it, I would stop her but then I realized that it just made her even more frustrated so I just wait for her to get it out and then remind her to slow down. I realize for a 3.5 year old, that's not exactly easy.

Thank you for the advice :)

Quoting Sasha-:

My hubby stutters,  he told me his sister did to but she outgrew it.  Its rare for a female to stutter, not saying it doesn't happen but its rare.  At 3.5 it could be normal, my hubby says just tell her to relax and not get frustrated,  he says if she still stutters between 4-5 have her checked out.  He also says do not make a big deal out of it and cause attention to it.  She might get a complex or it will develope into a spiral. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Oh my GOODNESS! My dd had the WORST stutter for about 6-8 months. Woke up one day and started stuttering. To the point her face would get really squinty with the effort to get her words out. It was so hard to watch. She would get very upset. She was almost 3 when it started. I had her evaluated and I was told it was just part of development. Her little mouth couldn't keep up with her big vocabulary. Lol. And as it turns out that was true. It went away as suddenly as it it appeared. She is 5 now and you would never know she used to stutter.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)