Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think homeschooled parents should get

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 344 Replies
8 moms liked this
The amount of money that their district spends per student in their district in the form of an annual check. I know our school district spends around 20k per student. That could buy a lot of educational books and educational trips. Imagine you are learning about govt and you take a trip to Washington DC or Jamestown, battlefields, presidential homes. The list is endless. You could learn art history and actually see the paintings. Of course you would have to submit all receipts so shady parents couldn't use it to buy smokes and pay bills with school money. Just my opinion but I think it's a great idea!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM
7 moms liked this

Uh...no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM

In some areas they do that. It's not a huge check, but something like $500 a semester. At least that is how it is in the area my sister homeschools in.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Why not? Why shouldn't the taxpayer get to choose how their money is spent? Because you don't homeschool?

Quoting Anonymous:

Uh...no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM
3 moms liked this
20k is a lot of money! Why shouldn't I be able to think I could get my child a better education with that money?
Lizardannie1966
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM
4 moms liked this

Home-schooling is a choice and thus, the funding to do so should be well thought out before home-schooling a child.

The voters would never go for it.

BTW, my youngest child is educated here at home and has been for over 4 years now so I am not against home-schooling when it works for the child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM
3 moms liked this
I guess I'm one of those who thinks I know what's best for my kids and not the Govt. of course you have to adhere to guidelines and make sure subjects are taught, but you aren't utilizing any school facilities and I pay taxes as does my husband.
MamaRae85
by *you're on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:39 AM
2 moms liked this

I disagree. That would be a ton of extra money going out every year, and more than likely, it would be taken from the education budget. That's way too much money for public schools to have to give up. Part of the idea behind homeschooling is that the parents get to decide what curriculum is used, what materials are needed, and what field trips are necessary, so it's assumed that they should pay (or not pay) for the things they do (or don't) take part in.

Lizardannie1966
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:39 AM
4 moms liked this

Again, because you're making a choice that SHOULD be well-thought out, including money to educate the child if need be.

There are many free and low-cost curriculum's that you can find online.

There are other options like Connections Academy (which we use), K12, etc....all of them free.

You don't deserve 20K for making a choice.

Quoting Anonymous:

20k is a lot of money! Why shouldn't I be able to think I could get my child a better education with that money?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Why shouldn't it be equal per child?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree...or maybe even get the funds on a card of some sort so your dont have to worry about turning in reciept. Or claim it on your taxes for a credit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)