Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think homeschooled parents should get

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The amount of money that their district spends per student in their district in the form of an annual check. I know our school district spends around 20k per student. That could buy a lot of educational books and educational trips. Imagine you are learning about govt and you take a trip to Washington DC or Jamestown, battlefields, presidential homes. The list is endless. You could learn art history and actually see the paintings. Of course you would have to submit all receipts so shady parents couldn't use it to buy smokes and pay bills with school money. Just my opinion but I think it's a great idea!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Replies (341-344):
SwtSnowflake2
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
The same reason people have kids in private school. They choose to pay for education. You choose to homeschool.

If you do not use public school then you choose to pay for it with your own expenses.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why shouldn't it be equal per child?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I understand your thoughts and agree that that the public school environment may not be of benefit to all children. 

My kids are in an accelerated private school and all the teachers have advanced degrees.  Substitutes included. 

In our state, substitute teachers in the public schools are required to have a bachelors in some field.  They are not subjected to just any idiot off the street.

Quoting Anonymous:

There are teachers teaching your child in public school that do not hold a degree in teaching. In many states a substitute teacher does not have to have a teaching degree and those substitute teachers can be spending quite a bit of time teaching your child.
I do agree with your statements, to a degree. While I think some homeschooling parents have no business teaching their children, that is not always the case. In some cases being in a public school environment is taking more away from a child's education than homeschooling without a teaching degree would. Plus, there are several resources available to help parents successfully homeschool their children.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think anyone without a degree in education should be teaching children.

The public schools have extremely low standards in spite of their teachers education. 

I don't think you should feel obligated to send them to a public school if you don't want to.  

What's best for your kids is a private school.   

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, when people try to make it out like a mother who is homeschooling her children and only holds a GED or a diploma, as opposed to a degree,  is doing a disservice to her children, I get a little upset. Because, the ones who say we aren't qualified to teach without a degree, also say our kids should be in public school with a "real" teacher. Why should I feel obligated to send them to public school with a "real" teacher, when they obviously do better at home with me? That is not LOW STANDARDS, that is wanting the best for my kids....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM
My oldest is also in an accelerated private school. The education there, for him, has been great! He also takes college courses which have been great as he needs the challenge!
A degree doesn't mean that someone is qualified to teach children I think it takes more than just a degree in a random field to have the knowledge and understanding necessary to teach children.

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand your thoughts and agree that that the public school environment may not be of benefit to all children. 

My kids are in an accelerated private school and all the teachers have advanced degrees.  Substitutes included. 

In our state, substitute teachers in the public schools are required to have a bachelors in some field.  They are not subjected to just any idiot off the street.

Quoting Anonymous:

There are teachers teaching your child in public school that do not hold a degree in teaching. In many states a substitute teacher does not have to have a teaching degree and those substitute teachers can be spending quite a bit of time teaching your child.
I do agree with your statements, to a degree. While I think some homeschooling parents have no business teaching their children, that is not always the case. In some cases being in a public school environment is taking more away from a child's education than homeschooling without a teaching degree would. Plus, there are several resources available to help parents successfully homeschool their children.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think anyone without a degree in education should be teaching children.

The public schools have extremely low standards in spite of their teachers education. 

I don't think you should feel obligated to send them to a public school if you don't want to.  

What's best for your kids is a private school.   

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, when people try to make it out like a mother who is homeschooling her children and only holds a GED or a diploma, as opposed to a degree,  is doing a disservice to her children, I get a little upset. Because, the ones who say we aren't qualified to teach without a degree, also say our kids should be in public school with a "real" teacher. Why should I feel obligated to send them to public school with a "real" teacher, when they obviously do better at home with me? That is not LOW STANDARDS, that is wanting the best for my kids....

moneysaver6
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, nope.  I don't want or need the government in my life anymore than they already are.  That would give them carte blanche to control my children's education just as they do with the public schools.  Um.  No.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured