Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think homeschooled parents should get

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The amount of money that their district spends per student in their district in the form of an annual check. I know our school district spends around 20k per student. That could buy a lot of educational books and educational trips. Imagine you are learning about govt and you take a trip to Washington DC or Jamestown, battlefields, presidential homes. The list is endless. You could learn art history and actually see the paintings. Of course you would have to submit all receipts so shady parents couldn't use it to buy smokes and pay bills with school money. Just my opinion but I think it's a great idea!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Replies (11-20):
supercarp
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Homeschooled parents? Do you mean parents who homeschool?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
But you deserve that money to make the CHOICE to send your kid to public school?

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Again, because you're making a choice that SHOULD be well-thought out, including money to educate the child if need be.

There are many free and low-cost curriculum's that you can find online.

There are other options like Connections Academy (which we use), K12, etc....all of them free.

You don't deserve 20K for making a choice.

Quoting Anonymous:

20k is a lot of money! Why shouldn't I be able to think I could get my child a better education with that money?

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM
6 moms liked this

No. As a former homeschooling parent I think that is a terrible idea. Homeschoolers have been fighting against it since it was mentioned. Once the government starts to give homeschoolers money, they will attach all sorts of new rules and laws to go with it. No thank you!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Yes, I meant homeschooling parents. Sorry, I worked a 16 hr nursing shift last night and just got off work.

Quoting supercarp:

Homeschooled parents? Do you mean parents who homeschool?

ElitestJen
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this

No.  If they gave you money, then they'd control what/how/when you taught.....like the public schools.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM
3 moms liked this

Its a nice thought but really to many parents would skip school for the cash and we would have a whole generation of ignorance.

Photo: -Randi.

nicki1018
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Here I VA its more like 1250 per student. I homeschool so yeah that would be nice but they could use that to help their schools programs, schools have no money.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blessedwith
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:43 AM
3 moms liked this

No, they shouldn't get all the money the district gets to educate students.  It would be nice if the products we use could be tax deductible as education expenses though.  College expenses are tax deductible, child care is tax deductible, I think education expenses for minor children ought to be.

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL, sounds good to me. 

MommaTasha1003
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I 100000000% agree with this.. Why is it OK for the public school to make $$ off a kid... But homeschoolers dont get it -- YET They still have to pay into school taxes!

As long as there is a money trail, so bad parents cant waste the funds.

And im not a homeschooler..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)