Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think homeschooled parents should get

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The amount of money that their district spends per student in their district in the form of an annual check. I know our school district spends around 20k per student. That could buy a lot of educational books and educational trips. Imagine you are learning about govt and you take a trip to Washington DC or Jamestown, battlefields, presidential homes. The list is endless. You could learn art history and actually see the paintings. Of course you would have to submit all receipts so shady parents couldn't use it to buy smokes and pay bills with school money. Just my opinion but I think it's a great idea!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Replies (21-30):
ElitestJen
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I guess I'm one of those who thinks I know what's best for my kids and not the Govt. of course you have to adhere to guidelines and make sure subjects are taught, but you aren't utilizing any school facilities and I pay taxes as does my husband.

If you think you know what's best for your kids, the last thing you should be thinking about is letting the government send you money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM
How is it extra? You would be paying that amount if my child went to public school anyway.

Quoting MamaRae85:

I disagree. That would be a ton of extra money going out every year, and more than likely, it would be taken from the education budget. That's way too much money for public schools to have to give up. Part of the idea behind homeschooling is that the parents get to decide what curriculum is used, what materials are needed, and what field trips are necessary, so it's assumed that they should pay (or not pay) for the things they do (or don't) take part in.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Why should the school district get money for a child who is not in that school? The money should go to where the child is being educated.
illinoismommy83
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM

So a woman could pop out 2389479238 kids and get $20k per year for each kid that she claimed to be educating?

I'm all for homeschooling for SOME people. I dated a man whose mom homeschooled the whole family due to her own social anxiety. Some of her kids turned out ok, all at least had a GED, but some of them were dumber than a box of rocks. You aren't doing your kid a favor if you release them into the adult world with the English skills of a 3rd grader.

SunshineBird
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM

My sister home schools and they provide a TON of supplies to assist including a laptop per child (needs to be returned at the end of the school year). I think it evens out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM
I pay taxes. I should decide how they are spent where my child is concerned. And when I say I pay taxes, I pay IN!

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Anonymous:

I guess I'm one of those who thinks I know what's best for my kids and not the Govt. of course you have to adhere to guidelines and make sure subjects are taught, but you aren't utilizing any school facilities and I pay taxes as does my husband.

If you think you know what's best for your kids, the last thing you should be thinking about is letting the government send you money.

MamaRae85
by *you're on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM

It's extra because the public schools don't just let the money sit around. They're using it. They're just not using it on your kid. The taxes pay for public services. Public school is a public service, homeschooling is not.

Quoting Anonymous:

How is it extra? You would be paying that amount if my child went to public school anyway.

Quoting MamaRae85:

I disagree. That would be a ton of extra money going out every year, and more than likely, it would be taken from the education budget. That's way too much money for public schools to have to give up. Part of the idea behind homeschooling is that the parents get to decide what curriculum is used, what materials are needed, and what field trips are necessary, so it's assumed that they should pay (or not pay) for the things they do (or don't) take part in.

Eliots_momma
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. That $ would still be used for education and the school system has one less child to teach, therefore they shouldn't need that $ (although 20k sounds like a lot more than what is actually spent per child in the public school system)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redhead-bedhead
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly this!

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

No. As a former homeschooling parent I think that is a terrible idea. Homeschoolers have been fighting against it since it was mentioned. Once the government starts to give homeschoolers money, they will attach all sorts of new rules and laws to go with it. No thank you!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EvilAsh
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM

20,000 a year? Hard to believe that. I don't think parents should get that much at all. I do think homeschooling parents should get something to help with their kids' education. Like you said, trips and whatnot. Trips were the best part of school, seeing history up close and personal really makes it interesting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)