Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think homeschooled parents should get

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The amount of money that their district spends per student in their district in the form of an annual check. I know our school district spends around 20k per student. That could buy a lot of educational books and educational trips. Imagine you are learning about govt and you take a trip to Washington DC or Jamestown, battlefields, presidential homes. The list is endless. You could learn art history and actually see the paintings. Of course you would have to submit all receipts so shady parents couldn't use it to buy smokes and pay bills with school money. Just my opinion but I think it's a great idea!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Hell I could have sent my kids to private school with that check and they would have gotten a much better education!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Public schooling is also a choice.

Quoting the4mutts:

In our area, they pay between 300$ & 700$ a month to parents who homeschool. I do not think it should be law or mandatory for them to do so though. Homeschooling is a choice, and if you cant afford to do it, you need to re-think your decision.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

It depends on the state. I am not against insisting that kids be tested but there are a whole other set of rules that the states/federal government could insist on that would be detrimental to homeschoolers freedoms. It is a bad idea.

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

Besides TX, dont other states have rules/restrictions or something? I think in some way many parents have to keep certain records for the state & proof their child is learning?

Im from Tx & decided not to HS so maybe Im wrong.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

No. As a former homeschooling parent I think that is a terrible idea. Homeschoolers have been fighting against it since it was mentioned. Once the government starts to give homeschoolers money, they will attach all sorts of new rules and laws to go with it. No thank you!!

umm.yeah
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

It is no different than the arguments concerning vouchers for private schools.  I pay school taxes like everyone else but I choose to send my kids to a non public school.  Should I be getting a voucher to pay for their tuition?  What if I added the non public school they go to is religon based?  Most people say no to that due to separation of church and state.  To me, homeschooling is no different - it is all about CHOICE.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Holy shit.  Now you people think the government should pay you NOT to provide your kid an education.  Get a friggen grip. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I like the idea & my kids go to public school. Probably not the amount you suggested, but something. If you think about it, schools pay for field trips to the zoo, etc. But BIG class trips are paid for by the parents...I WISH schools paid for the big trips lol. I couldn't go on my Senior trip, it was to Costa Rica :/
SunshineBird
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I want to add too that the district did not receive the money for her children or not as much (as I understood) and it led to ugly phone calls from the school. They were pissed about losing the money. So, I assume some money went to covering her supplies and curriculum and the rest went into other state funded programs. I just don't see where the state should have to give more if you choose to homeschool. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You think a box of supplies and a laptop equal what the school district pays for students? I have homeschooled my youngest and I know what it's about.

Quoting SunshineBird:

My sister home schools and they provide a TON of supplies to assist including a laptop per child (needs to be returned at the end of the school year). I think it evens out.

MommaTasha1003
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM

that sounds like k12... Its more of a public school @ home, than actually homeschooling... The school district is telling her exactly what to teach.

Quoting SunshineBird:

My sister home schools and they provide a TON of supplies to assist including a laptop per child (needs to be returned at the end of the school year). I think it evens out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Exactly, 20k IS a lot of money. And a lot of people might use that for purposes other than education. I think if you get 20K you should have to have all spending approved by a board or something first and keep receipts to prove that that moneywas spent on what it was supposed to be spent on.

Quoting Anonymous:

20k is a lot of money! Why shouldn't I be able to think I could get my child a better education with that money?
Lizardannie1966
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM

And many of those rules and laws would see a lot of current parent's who educate at home having to send their kid's back to a traditional brick and mortar school.

I completely agree with you here.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

No. As a former homeschooling parent I think that is a terrible idea. Homeschoolers have been fighting against it since it was mentioned. Once the government starts to give homeschoolers money, they will attach all sorts of new rules and laws to go with it. No thank you!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)