Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pain management clinic ???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 62 Replies

Does anyone have experience with pain management clinics? I have my first appt at the end of this month. I really don't know what to expect. I have a super high tolerance to pretty much everything the hospital has given me so they have sent me out to have it managed so I can be monitored better.

The problem is chronic abdominal pain, nobody can figure out why, I have had my gallbladder and appendix removed, I have heard everything from it could be IBS to it could be adhesions from all the surgeries. I have tried Dilaudid, Oxycontin, Oxycodine, and have also tried the more mild anti-inflammatory type like high dose ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.

Does anyone have experience with these types of places? Should I write down everything that is involved with my pain like I can't sleep, I can't drive bc if I start hurting I can't move around and that gives me anxiety, etc. ? I just don't know what I should be prepared to tell them, I want them to know what needs to be controlled but don't want to whip out a huge list if it won't matter

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM

bump....anyone have experience with this...?

VannaMae307
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I have one coming up soon as well, I wish someone would answer this....here's a bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM

thx for the bump

Quoting VannaMae307:

I have one coming up soon as well, I wish someone would answer this....here's a bump

lmscm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:28 PM
BUMP
deadlights86
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM

My dh goes to them they test him for drugs gave him tons of vicodine and now they are doing cortizone shots in his hip. He's still in pain though.

DestinyHLewis
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM
4 moms liked this

You need to run far and fast from pain clinics. You will end up an addict. Find a real Dr. That can nail down what is wrong and fix the problem. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM
I have done injections and minor surgery. I do not take pain pills, instead I use medical mj.

The pain pills do not work for me at all. Nada. I also see a chiropractor and an acupuncturist.
rebeccasmommy09
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Tell them what pain you are experiencing and what has been done (testing, surgeries, medication, etc.). They'll want a full list of current Meds, will probably test your urine, and will discuss possible options they can offer (from pain Meds to possible procedures). They'll probably also ask if you are seeing any other doctors for this issue and what they are doing for it. I've been going to a pain clinic for almost 7 years now so I have lots of experience sadly. :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chane_L
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM

for the most part here they are referred to as "pill mills" and are getting raided often since for the most part they were set up for people to buy Rx drugs ( remember 1 news story where it was $500 just to walk in and be seen)

( i also know that some hospitals have a pain mgmt. dept which is completely different than these strip mall operations)

I also have issues after 6 operations total on my guts , and 10times a day it feels like being kicked in the gut by a mule. I only take tramadol if it's so bad i can't stand it. it's not the most effective drug but it has the least amount of stomach side effects for me.  GL though 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I go to a pain clinic 4 times a year. They do corticosteroid shots in my neck and lumbar region of my spine. It's for arthritis in my C spine and L spine, and has helped me tremendously. They also control ALL pain killers I receive- no matter what for (not that I get them for anything else, but for example, if I were to have surgery, the surgeon's office would not be allowed to control my pain killers, the pain clinic would have to).

Yes, write down everything that it effects, how much it hurts, if any type if activities agrevate it further, or make it feel better.

They can also prescribe physical therapy, and further testing if it's needed. They won't do much for diagnosing the issue, unless it shows up on tests, but they'll help get rid of the pain to the best of their ability.

It may not work immediately. If you wind up getting shots, then you'll start feeling a difference after about 2 weeks if it works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)