Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I can't be the only one with this problem r

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
We buy those Sippy cups that have the valve built in. They are like $7.97 or something like that for 2 of them. I can't remember the exact brand but usually within 2 weeks they start getting black crap around the rubbery clear things that is in the lid. I've tried boiling them and I can't get it off. I try to make sure they get rinsed before going in the sink but not everyone else so sometimes they sit there for a few hours. Why are they doing that an how can I get it off? I love the cups but its expensive to keep buying more and I can't find just the lids.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM
I dont have that problem sorry. Heres a bump
stephiebugg
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

 Maybe take a new toothbrush or a toothpick to them to try to clean them? I had a hard time with sippys too, they always got gross. Are you sure the valve doesn't come out? I'd switch to a brand where the valve comes out, it grosses me out to think the cups are full of mold and my kids are drinking it. Yuck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

You might try bleaching them... I bleach my ds cups every so often and then I rinse them and let them go for a spin in the dishwasher... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt...

mommy2zbg
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM

 this....


Quoting stephiebugg:

 Maybe take a new toothbrush or a toothpick to them to try to clean them? I had a hard time with sippys too, they always got gross. Are you sure the valve doesn't come out? I'd switch to a brand where the valve comes out, it grosses me out to think the cups are full of mold and my kids are drinking it. Yuck.


 

stephiebugg
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM

 I think it's just one of those things that have to be replaced every so often either way. They get gross quick.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM
I've tried that and sometimes a little bit will come off but not all of it. I really dislike the other cups with valves but I may have to go back to that. I'm positive these don't come out. I trash them as soon as they start getting like that.


Quoting stephiebugg:

 Maybe take a new toothbrush or a toothpick to them to try to clean them? I had a hard time with sippys too, they always got gross. Are you sure the valve doesn't come out? I'd switch to a brand where the valve comes out, it grosses me out to think the cups are full of mold and my kids are drinking it. Yuck.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I don't know, I used sippy cups where the valve was removable and still had that problem. The valves are a pain in the butt to clean. I would just buy new valves all the time. I'm glad my kids have outgrown sippy cups!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I thought about bleach. Thanks

Quoting Anonymous:

You might try bleaching them... I bleach my ds cups every so often and then I rinse them and let them go for a spin in the dishwasher... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt...

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:04 AM

i use q-tips to clean them.  works like a charm.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Interesting. I'll try that.

Quoting almondpigeon:

i use q-tips to clean them.  works like a charm.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)