Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am having a dilemma with one of our cats. She was a feral cat this past summer and we began feeding and caring for her. She was pregnant and after having her kittens (they were taken to a shelter) we had her fixed and caught her up on her shots with the help of an awesome local rescue. She has since warmed up to us and wants to come into the house. She really just wants to be our pet, I think. Here is the problem. DH will not let her be inside without declawing her (front only). She sharpens her claws on everything. We brought her inside one time and she clawed at our furniture and the carpets. I worry about her being outside though. We live next to a very busy road and wee have a big fox that runs around the area. Plus we rent so eventually we will move. 

Has anyone had experience bringing a cat indoors that was previously a wild cat? We think she is about 18 months and I'm worried she will have a hard time adjusting to having her claws removed. Any other alternatives anyone can think of? Clipping her claws isn't an option....she's still skittish and won't tolerate it. 

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I did, she did really good, she was blind and when she had kittens under our house we brought them all inside and made her a nice box for her babies. She did not even need to be litter trained. Maybe get her a cat post? put some cat nip on it and that should be what she wants to scratch.

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Please don't declaw her!

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Kitty caps. My billy wears them, I paid 16$ for 800 of them.

They last anywhere between 2 weeks to 4 months depending on your cats nail growth and use (like climbing trees)

Billy is an ass about his paws and lets me put one or two on at a time, unless I stick his head in a pillow case, which means he doesnt have a choice.

A vet will put them on for like 10$ if you bring the caps.

You can also ask for kitty sedatives, to help relax her while she gets accustomed to it, and do it yourself. Its really easy. Just stick nail glue or super glue inside, slide onto trimmed nail and presto. No more damage.

Billy got stuck out in the woods for 5 weeks in alabama (crazy lady threw him out :() and his little claws likely saved his life. I could never take them from him.

He doesnt really notice them, he just hates sitting still to let me put them on!

Quoting twinmommy27:

They have little protectors you can put on her nails so they won't destroy things.

I don't know what there called but maybe you can talk to someone at the pet store about them.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Kitty caps (after 2 months)

He has purple and grey on right now. :)

Pollymom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Whatever you do, please do not declaw the cat....it really is cruel. Is there a back patio you can put a small cat bed or something for her to sleep in and put her dishes next to?

KaysMom06
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Getting her claws removed will be very painful for her. I only de-clawed one cat of mine and he died a few weeks later from an infection (it has to do with the kitty litter getting in the wounds). Cats scratch because their nails hurt, which means they need to shed them.

To answer your question, yes I have made an outside cat into an inside one, several times. 2 were pregnant. There are different things you can buy so their claws wont destroy your house. The most obvious are the scratching posts. There are ones that hang on doors too. You can also buy sticky like things that go on the side of your couch so the cat cant claw there and ruin it. The carpets are not safe though, I havent found anything that can get cats to stop clawing my carpet.. but I also havent bought many of the cat scratch boards. If you buy a few of those and place them in her favorite scratching places it might work. Shes still young so you can train her to use those and not the furniture.

I hope I helped. :)

SunshineBird
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM

We have her bed/crate/food dishes in our garage right now. It's working ok for the moment but I'm worried about when we move or the summer when our neighbors get irritated about her prowling around their property. We live in a townhome. Plus she just really wants to be inside. 

DH will NOT allow her inside with the claws. 

Quoting Pollymom:

Whatever you do, please do not declaw the cat....it really is cruel. Is there a back patio you can put a small cat bed or something for her to sleep in and put her dishes next to?

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I had a cat that was feral and he was a scratcher too. I wish I could say we broke him of the habit, but we didn't. He got better, but never great. I put tin foil on the edges of things he would scratch and that helped.

My parents had a cat that was feral and they chose to get him declawed. (Well, my mom did, my dad didn't want to.) He had the procedure done and they gave him pain medicine. He took the pain medicine for two days and ended up in kidney failure. 6 months later, he had to be put to sleep because of complications from the pain meds. He was that one in one thousand cat that was prone to kidney failure from an opiate. My dad was devastated and my mom feels terrible about it. She said she would never have a cat declawed again, if they ever got a cat.

LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Target sells these great cardboard cat scratchers. My cats love them. You can also try firewood to scratch on. Finally, you could wrap her in a towel andcclip the sharp tips of her nails.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pollymom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Quoting SunshineBird:

We have her bed/crate/food dishes in our garage right now. It's working ok for the moment but I'm worried about when we move or the summer when our neighbors get irritated about her prowling around their property. We live in a townhome. Plus she just really wants to be inside. 

DH will NOT allow her inside with the claws. 

Quoting Pollymom:

I would go with the other ladies' suggestions then...the claw caps or covers. Those seem like the best bet - if you plan to let her inside. Or just not let her in the house...especially since you may be moving, don't let her get comfortable in the house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN