Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pissed, got any suggestions for me?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 17 Replies
I bought 7 pounds of bacon in bulk while it was on special and by the time I got home my baby was flipping a nut and really fussy so my husband the tells me to take him and he'll take care of the groceries. Yea, right? Until you realize he put the bacon in the freezer without bothering to separate it. So now I have a 7 lb ball of meat and the only way I can think of to separate it is ruin my good quality bacon by breaking/cutting into chunks while it is still frozen or wait for it all to thaw and refreeze it, which I know is not good. Seriously, it would have taken him 5 minutes...

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoyfulinSD
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Can it.  My DH cans it all the time so he can take it hunting, fishing, camping etc...  Easy to do too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Hey, at least he didn't forget it in the car like my husband has done before! My dh has never separated meat into portions in his life before freezing. I don't think he even realizes I do it or that it's a part of the shopping process. I'd thaw it, separate, and then refreeze. You know the store receives it frozen and thaws it before selling, right? What's one more time? I've refrozen meat before with no problem whatsoever.

christyg
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Thaw it ... cook it ... and refreeze it.

You can cook bacon in the oven, Its lots easier and less mess.

DestinyHLewis
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Cook it and then freeze it on trays and bag it. You can thaw it when you want to use it and have ready made bacon. ;-)

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Refreezing isn't as hard on bacon as it is other meats, so I'd try that.  Also, you could cook bunches up and freeze them after cooking.  Makes it easy to grab a few and nuke them for breakfast on a rushed morning.  They tend to come out chewy instead of crispy.

mtdew
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM

This.

Quoting christyg:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

yeah I just tried bacon in the oven and it SUCKS!! it gets super dry and super crispy... I like my bacon greasy and fatty lol

let it thaw just slightly, until you can break it apart easier. then re-freeze.

stephiebugg
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Wait, you mean you won't eat all 7 lbs at one sitting? LOL Now that's self-control!!!! LOL

Mamabear010
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:51 AM

What they said.

Quoting mtdew:

This.

Quoting christyg:

christyg
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Then don't cook it as long. Take it out a few minutes earlier :)

Quoting Anonymous:

yeah I just tried bacon in the oven and it SUCKS!! it gets super dry and super crispy... I like my bacon greasy and fatty lol

let it thaw just slightly, until you can break it apart easier. then re-freeze.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)