Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my friend is putting messed up morals/ideas in her kids' heads and probably doesn't even realize it....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

her kids are allergic to everything under the sun, apparently.. including animals of all kinds. yet they keep getting pet after pet, keep it for a few weeks or months, and then get rid of it for whatever reason. they just did this last week with a german shepard that they had 6-8months.

so we have this puppy that's almost 3 months old. she was acting crazy this morning and chewing on every barbie she could get her little paws on. aggravating, yes..but it's what puppies do.. i said, 'dang dog..quit chewing on everything!" well, her 5 y/o dd heard me, and said, "You should just get rid of her..give her to someone else. that's what we do."

i was like, o_0... and said, "No.. that's not how you're supposed to do pets. you don't get rid of them just because you might get aggravated with them or they do something you don't like..." and just kinda went on with what i was doing.... 

i just think it's a little sad that her kids already think it's ok to get/have a pet, and the first time they aggravate you or do something you don't like, or make you mad, you can just go dump them off somewhere or hand them over to someone else.. 

ok..sorry, that just bugged me a little. i'm better now ;)

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christyg
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

They are allegic to animals, but she keeps bringing them home? --- NICE!

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:57 AM
I hate adults like that..
Ugh
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM

My sister does the same thing, she has had more dogs in the last year then I have in 13 years. I've had the exact same 3 dogs since I got them when they were puppies. They are now 14 years, 9 years, and 5 years old.

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I totally agree. That's a terrible mesage to send to a child. Why should pets be disposable?

I have friends that got an adorable boxer puppy when their daughter was around 3. They got rid of the dog about 3 months after they had adopted it because it jumped on their daughter too much and chewed on her stuff. I had to stop myself after saying "That's what puppies do until they are trained." If I had said what I really wanted to say, I am positive we wouldn't be friends anymore.

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM

No I absolutely agree. 

People think getting a pet is some quick decision you make by saying "I think I want a pet", and then going out and getting one. They don't realize the process of getting a pet is just that, a process! It takes thought and planning and realizing all of the pros AND cons that go with getting a pet.

If they realize they don't want to deal with it, DON'T GET THE PET!

My neighbors are like this too. They're forever getting a pet and then the pet doesn't last more than a few months before they decide they don't want it anymore. All of our pets, we've had 6+ years because we took time to make sure we could take it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM

yeah..i don't understand it either.. she's alwasy going on how allergic to everything they are, mainly the 5 yr old, but has pet after pet. she had given us 2 kittens, has gotten rid of 2 dogs at least, and a few other cats. 

Quoting christyg:

They are allegic to animals, but she keeps bringing them home? --- NICE!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:02 PM

2 of our dogs are 10 and almost 8, we've had them since they were puppies. we have the almost 3 month old puppy that we've had since she was 6 wks. our other dog is 2-2 1/2, and we got him about a year and a half ago from the pound. they aren't going anywhere until they croak. our cats we've had since kitten ages, and the same with them.

Quoting robibuni:

No I absolutely agree. 

People think getting a pet is some quick decision you make by saying "I think I want a pet", and then going out and getting one. They don't realize the process of getting a pet is just that, a process! It takes thought and planning and realizing all of the pros AND cons that go with getting a pet.

If they realize they don't want to deal with it, DON'T GET THE PET!

My neighbors are like this too. They're forever getting a pet and then the pet doesn't last more than a few months before they decide they don't want it anymore. All of our pets, we've had 6+ years because we took time to make sure we could take it.

NBean311
by Chivette on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM

That is sad. I have a friend like that. Poor babies get attached to. A new family just to be given away. And they are always struggling financially, but have 3-5 pets at a time. 

bluedolly01
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Have you raised this with your friend?

I'm not sure I would be able to stay quiet about it, its not only cruel to the kids AND the pets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM

She's an idiot for continuing to get animals knowing her kids are allergic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN