Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this really too much to ask? *poll*

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 32 Replies

Poll

Question: Am I asking too much?

Options:

Yes

No

Other because there is always an other...

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 63

View Results

I have 2 kids that are 6 and in kindergarten, they don't have many chores but do have things I ask of them. Like clean their rooms and do not make a disaster out of them, they usually do it with no problems. They have to keep the play room picked up at all times except the stuff they are playing with because it is also a tv/game room. They have to make their beds every morning and keep the bathroom picked up. That's it. They do have limited tv and electronic game time. To even get the time they have they have to do all of what I mentioned with no issues. AND also take care of their game players and the games that came with them. I walked into the play room today and it's a mess, their games were on the floor as were the players. I didn't check it before bed last night cause I was exhausted and just wanted to put them to bed so I could shower. When I said something to my mom (I happen to go into the room when on the phone with her to turn my 2yr olds morning show on) she said I am giving them too much responsibilities and they shouldn't be expected to do all that. To me it's not that much. So am I asking to much out of 6yr olds?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mtdew
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

No.  They are old enought to pick up after themselves.

Thibmom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:04 PM
I don't think you're asking too much. I have the same expectations of my 6 year old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stephiebugg
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Maybe they need a chore chart to keep on top of it though. A visual reminder might be helpful.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM
I have the same expectations with my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommynwife26
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM

My dh just text me the same thing lol. I didn't really think of them as "chores" so I never really thought of it.

Quoting stephiebugg:

Maybe they need a chore chart to keep on top of it though. A visual reminder might be helpful.

stephiebugg
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

No, but maybe you could just take pics of the areas they are in charge of (preferably when the areas are nice and tidy) and post them somewhere they can see. If you laminate the pics, they can write on them with dry erase markers- maybe drawing an X on the pic when it's been cleaned.

Quoting Mommynwife26:

My dh just text me the same thing lol. I didn't really think of them as "chores" so I never really thought of it.

Quoting stephiebugg:

vwd_johnson
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM
I have the same expectation of my 2.5yr old so I see no problem expecting that from kids their age.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Quoting mtdew:

No.  They are old enought to pick up after themselves.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM

not at all. i've had ds doing all that stuff since he was 4. 

lucsch
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM

It may not be the NORMAL expectation, but I do think they can handle it.

How's that for an answer? LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN