Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What would u do if your MIL didn't acknowledge your child's birthday?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

My MIL is a major trouble-maker.  My husband knows this and really limits his time with her.  She does things out of spite and sometimes we don't even know why she's mad etc.  Recently, she's started taking things out on my children and the most recent was not acknowleding my son's 2nd birthday.  (She lives on the other side of the country, so we only see her twice a year, but we always call and send gifts to her on holidays and birthdays.  I think it was really terrible of her not to even send a card or call my son.  What would you do?  I feel like cutting ties at this point. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Bump

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM

It seems like she is making the decision for you, she has no use for your family or time for it, so just ignore her.  If she comes around treat her like a novelty, but other than that don't deal with her. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM

My MIL just recently moved out of our house and in with  her daughter.  When she lived with us she called her other grand kids everyday (SIL's kids).  She moved out in the beginning of Jan and we have yet to hear from her.  My DS's birthday was at the end of Jan and she didn't call him.  He turned 5 and later on that evening asked why gram didn't call him.  So he called her and asked her why she didn't call, she said she didn't know where he was going to be.  If we weren't home, she could have left a message.  So it's been almost a month since they have talked to her.  If they want to call I let them.  I can't force her to call, it is what it is.  They see how she really is.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I think a 2 year old has no idea whether or not someone who lives in another states sends a card.  For what it's worth, my MIL lives in another state and pays no attention to my kids.  No calls, even on b-days and/or x-mas.  They will survive.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Nothing. She never does. My oldest will be 7 this year. Time to just cut her off.

SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Nothing, she never remembers them
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Take the power back. Why on earth does it matter if she is behaving like a jackass? Just ignore her.

banana-bear
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Happens every year for both of my girls with all of the inlaws. I gave up caring.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SoKamele
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I don't believe that not sending a card is worth cutting someone out of your life. People are to quick to do that these days. All these throw away relationships.....what are you teaching your children when you do this?

You barely see her as it is......maybe she just forgot......if everyone I knew did that to me...I'd have no one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Cut her off! My inlaws didn't see my twins at all until they were 5. And that was only because we were driving through Texas. They never made an effort to come and see us.My kids were thrilled to meet the other side of the family.

I have nothing to do with them. My Dh will speak with them but they mean nothing to me. My kids are now 7 and have no idea their Dh's family are all POS'. They'll learn soon...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)