Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The health of your pets is only worth so much...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 180 Replies
Our kitty is having an $800 surgery today to remove kidney stones. This is putting a pretty big strain on our budget, but luckily our Vet is amazing and agreed to let us make payments. My Dad suggested we just have her euthanized and get another cat. I was shocked since he is an animal lover and has a dog he treats like a baby. How far would you go for a pet?

Edit: just wanted to add that it's not so much of a strain that any of the humans in the house are going without. :)
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM
3 moms liked this

We pay for pet insurance. $26 a month. We have a $100 deductible and they pay up to $14,000 a year per pet. It also covers genetic conditions. Look into it.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM
8 moms liked this

I wouldn't put my pet above the needs of my family

overweightmommy
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM

We paid over 1k for a surgery for my dog. 

Idk that there would ever be a price limit. 

Famousglm714
by Gina on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM
I paid almost a grand at the emergency vet for my kitty. I guess 3k would be my limit. Idk I can't even think about it. I love my kitties.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM
3 moms liked this

It would entirely depends on our financial situation , age of the pet and the life expetency and quality after proceedure.

I spent about 2500 dollars on a two year old GSD's  ACL (or whatever its called in dogs, they told me its like a human ACL) repair and water therapy.

but if its a 10 year old dogs 12 month cancer treatement to keep him around another 18 months total, not worth it.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM
5 moms liked this

We would not do that, particularly for a cat.  Our priorities are different.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I sure would not be spending $800 on a pet. I would have it euthanized.

overweightmommy
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM

What company?

I have that crappy "wellness plan" through Banfield and it doesn't really cover much of anything past basic care. And it's $50/month.

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

We pay for pet insurance. $26 a month. We have a $100 deductible and they pay up to $14,000 a year per pet. It also covers genetic conditions. Look into it.

Starting weight: 217

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM
2 moms liked this

pets are like kids. you decided to get one so it is your responsibility to do whatever you have to to keep them safe and healthy. if that was your kid having surgery, im sure your father wouldn't tell you to kill your kid and just get a new one...lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Lol, not a good question to ask me. I'd save $800 bucks and shoot the cat sorry you asked.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured