Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

eta: If Out Lawing Smoking in the Car around kids is okay, is outlawing large amounts of fattening sugary sh** we give them okay too?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 184 Replies
1 mom liked this

If the purpose of outlawing smoking around kids is to prevent them from getting sick and to prevent them from long term health problems, that reasoing is analogous to outlawing giving minors sugary crap because it can get them fat and sick later on. I don't see the difference.

if its ok in moderation, then they should outlaw giving minors sugary or processed food OUT of moderation, becuase many parents do that, which is why the obesity epidemic is rising. if the reasoning behind smoking in cars with kids is outlawed because of health reasons, then regulating and outlawing giving kids unhealthy large amounts of processed sugary foods should also be the same. there is no difference, because in the long term, that will probably give you either a heart attack, stroke or diabetes.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sailor_nena
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM

BUMP!

Sailor_nena
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:02 PM

BUMP!

brebugmom91
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Its different.

*sarcasm*
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds reasonable to me. But then again, I'd feel a tad bit more freaked out if the government did not allow my child to have a delicious ice cream treat until 18, than me not being allowed to smoke in the car with them. Not smoking in the car with my kids is like an obvious thing that I would NOT do. I don't understand why anyone would, with secondhand smoke being as dangerous as it is.

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Nah...I don't support Nanny States.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Yes! Or, at least outlaw the cheap prodution of proccessing crap "food" If one would actually have to pay for and produce their own treats we all would eat less of it!
TSNDDY
by Emerald Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM
6 moms liked this
Your body needs some sugar. Your body does not need cigarette smoke.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM
5 moms liked this

Really we should just outlaw breathing......we'd all be dead, but at least we'd finally be able to think for ourselves!

Sailor_nena
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM

What is the exact reasoning for not smoking with your kids in the car? What is the difference between that reasoning and the analogy I presented with sugary fattening foods?

Quoting MrsKoolaidPunk:

Sounds reasonable to me. But then again, I'd feel a tad bit more freaked out if the government did not allow my child to have a delicious ice cream treat until 18, than me not being allowed to smoke in the car with them. Not smoking in the car with my kids is like an obvious thing that I would NOT do. I don't understand why anyone would, with secondhand smoke being as dangerous as it is.

Sailor_nena
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

You can consume sugar from fruits. Nobody needs Snickers to survive.

Quoting TSNDDY:

Your body needs some sugar. Your body does not need cigarette smoke.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN