Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

eta: If Out Lawing Smoking in the Car around kids is okay, is outlawing large amounts of fattening sugary sh** we give them okay too?

Posted by   + Show Post

If the purpose of outlawing smoking around kids is to prevent them from getting sick and to prevent them from long term health problems, that reasoing is analogous to outlawing giving minors sugary crap because it can get them fat and sick later on. I don't see the difference.

if its ok in moderation, then they should outlaw giving minors sugary or processed food OUT of moderation, becuase many parents do that, which is why the obesity epidemic is rising. if the reasoning behind smoking in cars with kids is outlawed because of health reasons, then regulating and outlawing giving kids unhealthy large amounts of processed sugary foods should also be the same. there is no difference, because in the long term, that will probably give you either a heart attack, stroke or diabetes.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:08 PM
3 moms liked this

I am against the government taking anymore of my rights away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM

You don't see the difference?  Wow.

Of course, I've watched a family member die a horrible death from cancer related to smoking earlier in his life.

When you 've seen that first hand, you get the difference.

Sasha-
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Some states already have at the school level.  Could be a matter of time for home.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Most people don't worry about the stripping of personal rights, unless it applies directly to them...non-smokers don't give a shit about the rights of smokers...but try to pry a Big Mac out of some of these hands, and you'd have a full scale mutiny...

Sailor_nena
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM

No

How is that different from an obese person dying from a heart attack because they ate unhealthy since they were kids? you dont see the similarities? wow.

Quoting Anonymous:

You don't see the difference?  Wow.

Of course, I've watched a family member die a horrible death from cancer related to smoking earlier in his life.

When you 've seen that first hand, you get the difference.

TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Having an occasional snickers bar doesn't have the same negative impact as a single cloud of cigarette smoke.

Quoting Sailor_nena:

You can consume sugar from fruits. Nobody needs Snickers to survive.

Quoting TSNDDY:

Your body needs some sugar. Your body does not need cigarette smoke.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM
I was a smoker and brand new mother when the law was in acted in my town in Alberta banning smoking in vehicles with a minor present. I fully supported the legislation.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Most people don't worry about the stripping of personal rights, unless it applies directly to them...non-smokers don't give a shit about the rights of smokers...but try to pry a Big Mac out of some of these hands, and you'd have a full scale mutiny...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Breathing is super important. Kinda essential.
Second hand smoke can cause asthma to appear at any age but mainly in children.

Smoking in the car with children should NEVER be done.

Fatty/sugary foods are okay in moderation, unlike smoking in the car with kids. As long as kids are active and eat well, for the most part, it'd be senseless to outlaw sugary/fatty foods to children. Also, limiting certain foods for many, (note, I did not say all...if you aren't the following, good for you), can lead to binge eating secretly or eating disorders.

So...yeah...MUCH different.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM

This doesn't make sense. Sugar is one of those things that could be good or bad. Smoking is just bad. I mean, if your child is already obese due to eating, yeah, I think an intervention would be in order, but how in the hell do you expect people to stop sugar intake, or say "Well, this is where we draw the line! No more than 2tbsp's of sugar a day, or you will get fined/arrested/investigated!" 

You have to look at the WHOLE diet for starters. You have to look at the individual as well. Eating  alot of sugar doesn't mean you are in poor health. In fact, fruits have sugar like crazy, but it serves as an energy source as well. 

Smoking is just bad in general. Sugar doesn't give people cancer, which is the #1 killer in the world.

MommySwiggles
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:18 PM

apples and oranges.

A snickers doesn't have toxic chemicals that cause cancer, irritate asthma, cause emphyzema (sp?) etc... Sure sugary treats should be in moderation, but no innocent children should be exposed to lung damaging smoke just because it's the parent's "right". 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured