Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Married before having a wedding

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is there anyone here that went down to the court house, got married, and then had their wedding ceremony later?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Replies (51-56):
CjEmmemommy
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM

We didn't have a wedding in the court house. We signed papers, no vows, rings, judge ect.

The cleark/legal notery was our "clergy" who signed our license and no witnesses are needed in Colorado so it was just us and her. 

Quoting TypeAndRun:

If you got married, you had a wedding.  A courthouse wedding.
You only get one day, and you had yours

TypeAndRun
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM

If you're married, you had a wedding

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

We didn't have a wedding in the court house. We signed papers, no vows, rings, judge ect.

The cleark/legal notery was our "clergy" who signed our license and no witnesses are needed in Colorado so it was just us and her. 

Quoting TypeAndRun:

CjEmmemommy
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Okay.

What is a wedding to you?

Quoting TypeAndRun:

If you're married, you had a wedding

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

Quoting TypeAndRun:

TypeAndRun
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM

A wedding is when you are legally joined in marriage.
You can't have a wedding if you are already married.  Vow renewal yes, wedding no

Vipergirl22
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Friends of mine did that til they could be home with there family. They got married one year before there actual wedding.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Quoting TranquilMind:

I was invited to a "faux" wedding once.  The couple had quietly gotten married, and she was hugely pregnant, but they still held a "wedding" and reception, without giving the real story.  There was a minister there and they went through the whole (fake) wedding. 

In retrospect, I should have been tipped off by the odd wording of the invitation.  Instead of inviting us to "witness the marriage of Sue and John" we were invited to witness their "sharing of vows". 

I thought it was in really poor taste and didn't appreciate the deception. 

If someone wants to have a party to celebrate your marriage, at least be honest and upfront about it.  I would have been fine with that. 

That would have really annoyed me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)