Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

3rd trimester and hasn't seen a doc

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 120 Replies

I know a mom that's pregnant, possibly 9 months, that has not been to a doctor since she found out she was pregnant. She is going by her last period and telling everyone she is 7 months. She doesn't even know how far along she is really.

I told her she should use the same doc I am using (I'm 6 months preg). She hasn't come around since then. I don't know where she's living. She has 5 other children. She has visited the hospital one time because she thought she was having contractions. I was told by her sister, that lives out of state, that she found out she was 1cm dilated and 25% effaced when she went to the hospital. 

Do you know anyone that didn't see a doctor or midwife their whole pregnancy and everything turned out fine and baby was healthy?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:04 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes...I know a few actually. I also know some who have had horrible outcomes to pregnancy with doing everything perfectly.

Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM
12 moms liked this
Why would not seeing a dr cause a baby to be unhealthy, is what I've always wondered. All a dr can do is verify a problem. I've often questioned our society's obsession with making pregnancy an illness requiring medical attention.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I'd stay away from a doc lol unless there was something wrong. But I prefer midwives. Is she doing her own prenatal care? There are ways to do that, check protein and sugar, fetal heart tones, growth, blood pressure. Being pregnant isn't a sickness unless you have problems. You don't really need all the tests and ultrasounds and all that jazz for a normal pregnancy.

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:12 PM

My SIL.

When she was pregnant with kid #4, she didn't see an OBGYN until like, 35 weeks? It was hard to find an OB at that point willing to take her. She's seriously lucky that baby was fine. When she had #5 she didn't see an OB until 20 weeks because she felt there was no reason to.

SMH.

jamamama00
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Yes, lots of women dont seek prenatal care. It isnt thesafest route, but most often it's fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I always saw a dr for all three of my pregnancies...everything was fine until I somehow got a placental abruption and my baby almost died. I always advocate for seeing someone. A midwife, a dr, someone that can help in the case of an emergency.

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM

See I agree with this...MOST pregnancies don't need an OB. Get yourself a midwife and you're fine.

My SIL is just lazy and assumes its all fine (she's over 300 lbs and thinks she'll be fine regardless of seeing a doctor)

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd stay away from a doc lol unless there was something wrong. But I prefer midwives. Is she doing her own prenatal care? There are ways to do that, check protein and sugar, fetal heart tones, growth, blood pressure. Being pregnant isn't a sickness unless you have problems. You don't really need all the tests and ultrasounds and all that jazz for a normal pregnancy.

sjenkins8208
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM
My mom. She couldn't afford one. She had all four of us at some sort of clinic. We were all healthy, and still are. Oldest is 34, youngest is 21.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Not seeking prenatal care, should be grounds for cps to remove the child imo
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM

No she isn't. She is just living life as if she were not pregnant. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)