Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

3rd trimester and hasn't seen a doc

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I know a mom that's pregnant, possibly 9 months, that has not been to a doctor since she found out she was pregnant. She is going by her last period and telling everyone she is 7 months. She doesn't even know how far along she is really.

I told her she should use the same doc I am using (I'm 6 months preg). She hasn't come around since then. I don't know where she's living. She has 5 other children. She has visited the hospital one time because she thought she was having contractions. I was told by her sister, that lives out of state, that she found out she was 1cm dilated and 25% effaced when she went to the hospital. 

Do you know anyone that didn't see a doctor or midwife their whole pregnancy and everything turned out fine and baby was healthy?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Replies (111-120):
MommaTasha1003
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Have u seen "i didnt know i was pregnant".. Most are just fine...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM

This shit pisses me off!  If someone doesn't want to see a Dr they should not be forced to.

There is no reason to remove a child for that reason either, CPS & the government over step way to much.  Along with other people in this country. 

Quoting mommadana:

If she is getting no prenatal care, CPS can be called on her when she shows up to deliver as she knew she is pregnant.  The hospital will do it, not family and friends.  Please tell her to at least get a sonogram or a checkup now as I would hate for her to get into trouble.  I knew a lady who knew she was pregnant and refused to get care and when asked who her OB was she advised that didn't have one and that had no care, CPS investigated her and took the child because they stated that she endangered the child because no medical care.  Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM

thanks. i wasn't aware i could have told him to fly a kite about that one or knew about home births or anything like that. needless to say the experience has left me with more of a phobia of the medical profession.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

I'm sorry but your height has nothing to do with your ability to birth your baby :( I am sorry you were told that and had to go through that. Many times, doctors push for c-sections because it's nearing the end of their shift, or for liability reasons... not because you really need one. They especially don't like for you to be in labor for too long (though natural labors can last days and be completely normal).

Quoting Anonymous:

i went in to the hospital 8 cm dilated and within an hour i had the doctor telling me i wouldnt be able to push this baby out saying it was too big and because im so short it wouldn't happen. i have a feeling it was because it was 2:30 in the morning and the doctor didn't feel like waiting around.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Well I don't know your medical  history or the situation, but I do know that your body is capable of birthing the baby it makes. Unless you have some sort of rare deformity, which I doubt you do :)

Even women in the Victorian era who suffered from rickets (severe vitamin D deficiency) which caused misshapen/malformed pelvises were usually able to birth just fine. The female body is an amazing thing. 

Your fear and anxiety surely played a huge role in your not being able to relax, dilate, labor and birth normally. It's hard enough for women to do so in hospitals who do not have anxiety!  The cervix is a sphincter... I akin it to taking a poop (gross I know!) but most people can't just relax enough to take a poop in front of a doctor - why do we expect women to be able to relax enough open their cervixes with strangers coming in and out of a strange, bright, cold hospital room? Within a specific time limit, much less? At home, women are usually much more able to relax and produce the baby naturally, especially when they are firm in the knowledge that the birthing process is natural, normal, and safe.

Quoting Anonymous:

they told me i was too short mainly. other part was my anxiety for my fear of medical settings.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

At least 30% of babies being born in America are born via c-section (not sure about Canada's statistics). Less than 2% are necessary to save the life of the mother or baby. This indicates that a majority of c-sections are medically unnecessary. Based on these odds, if she had had a home birth, she likely wouldn't have ended up having a c-section (unless she was truly in the 2%).

Emilytrademark
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I had a very traumatic first birth at the hospital - most of which could have been easily avoided if I knew then what I know now. Hindsight, huh?

Quoting Anonymous:

thanks. i wasn't aware i could have told him to fly a kite about that one or knew about home births or anything like that. needless to say the experience has left me with more of a phobia of the medical profession.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

I'm sorry but your height has nothing to do with your ability to birth your baby :( I am sorry you were told that and had to go through that. Many times, doctors push for c-sections because it's nearing the end of their shift, or for liability reasons... not because you really need one. They especially don't like for you to be in labor for too long (though natural labors can last days and be completely normal).

Quoting Anonymous:

i went in to the hospital 8 cm dilated and within an hour i had the doctor telling me i wouldnt be able to push this baby out saying it was too big and because im so short it wouldn't happen. i have a feeling it was because it was 2:30 in the morning and the doctor didn't feel like waiting around.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Well I don't know your medical  history or the situation, but I do know that your body is capable of birthing the baby it makes. Unless you have some sort of rare deformity, which I doubt you do :)

Even women in the Victorian era who suffered from rickets (severe vitamin D deficiency) which caused misshapen/malformed pelvises were usually able to birth just fine. The female body is an amazing thing. 

Your fear and anxiety surely played a huge role in your not being able to relax, dilate, labor and birth normally. It's hard enough for women to do so in hospitals who do not have anxiety!  The cervix is a sphincter... I akin it to taking a poop (gross I know!) but most people can't just relax enough to take a poop in front of a doctor - why do we expect women to be able to relax enough open their cervixes with strangers coming in and out of a strange, bright, cold hospital room? Within a specific time limit, much less? At home, women are usually much more able to relax and produce the baby naturally, especially when they are firm in the knowledge that the birthing process is natural, normal, and safe.

Quoting Anonymous:

they told me i was too short mainly. other part was my anxiety for my fear of medical settings.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

At least 30% of babies being born in America are born via c-section (not sure about Canada's statistics). Less than 2% are necessary to save the life of the mother or baby. This indicates that a majority of c-sections are medically unnecessary. Based on these odds, if she had had a home birth, she likely wouldn't have ended up having a c-section (unless she was truly in the 2%).

BabyFruit Ticker
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM

i know. at one point i told my boyfriend that i wanted to give birth in the car when they shoved a needle meant for a leg vein IV into my arm.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

I had a very traumatic first birth at the hospital - most of which could have been easily avoided if I knew then what I know now. Hindsight, huh?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Emilytrademark:

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Oh I agree completely!

I guess you didn't see my earlier comment about how I don't think everyone needs an OB. If you're in good health, I feel like maybe some people could try a midwife. Y'know?

I was also high risk with my gestational diabetes and elevated liver functions, but my OB monitored me closely and I made sure I took care of myself and we had a good relationship. Despite my high risk pregnancy, she made sure she gave DH and I as many options as possible (unlike some OBs).

Quoting Anonymous:

Well that is different. Someone who is already unhealthy should see an OB.

But most people don't need to see an OB all the time.

I saw an OB CONSTANTLY during my pregnancies bc I am high risk, was there every week pretty much from the beginning.

But many don't see OB's are are fine, they monitor themselves at home.

Quoting robibuni:

Yes she does not take care of herself. She's well over 300 lbs with a family history of type 2 diabetes, and while pregnant, will sit there eating 3 cupcakes in one sitting. That's not healthy for anyone, muchless a pregnant woman.

I myself am plus size with a family history of type 2 diabetes but due to my high risk nature, I see an OB and take care of myself to ensure my own health and to prevent a stillbirth which can occur if you don't take care of yourself in that condition.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why is she lucky the baby was fine?  I don't get that statement.  Did she not take care of herself? 

Quoting robibuni:

My SIL.

When she was pregnant with kid #4, she didn't see an OBGYN until like, 35 weeks? It was hard to find an OB at that point willing to take her. She's seriously lucky that baby was fine. When she had #5 she didn't see an OB until 20 weeks because she felt there was no reason to.

SMH.

Salsacookies
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Prenatal care is not a requirement. Pregnancy is not an illness that needs a dr's attention. You can do your own prenatal care at home. The things they check for are not that complicated. CPS will not remove a child because of something silly like that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not seeking prenatal care, should be grounds for cps to remove the child imo

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM

There are charity hosptials everywhere unless you live in BFE.

Quoting EvilAsh:

They're clearly not everywhere. Nothing like that around here like I said.

Quoting Anonymous:

Charity hospitals are the hospitals they take people to if you have no insurance.

Quoting EvilAsh:

Never heard of it. Nothing free in my area either. I know if I couldn't get on medicaid with the beginning of this pregnancy, I wouldn't know what to do aside from make a huge payment arrangement with the hospital. Some people just can't afford it.

Quoting Anonymous:

That is what charity hospitals are for.

Quoting EvilAsh:

I don't know anyone who's done this. Maybe she has no insurance?

EvilAsh
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Not sure what BFE is, but there are no charity hospitals here. There are 2 hospitals within a 2 hour drive no matter which way you go, neither are "charity." You pay in full, or have insurance, or make a disgustingly huge payment arrangement.

Quoting Anonymous:

There are charity hosptials everywhere unless you live in BFE.

Quoting EvilAsh:

They're clearly not everywhere. Nothing like that around here like I said.

Quoting Anonymous:

Charity hospitals are the hospitals they take people to if you have no insurance.

Quoting EvilAsh:

Never heard of it. Nothing free in my area either. I know if I couldn't get on medicaid with the beginning of this pregnancy, I wouldn't know what to do aside from make a huge payment arrangement with the hospital. Some people just can't afford it.

Quoting Anonymous:

That is what charity hospitals are for.

Quoting EvilAsh:

I don't know anyone who's done this. Maybe she has no insurance?

CafeMom Tickers
KayelynnsMama
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:46 AM

My step-kids birth mom only saw a doctor with 1 out of 4 kids. She didn't know her due date any of those three times. Thank goodness for her that all the kids were healthy, but things could have turned out so bad for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)