Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this true for you? Teaching your kids about homosexuality

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 237 Replies
According to a national survey of mothers of three to six year olds, one in five mothers teaches her young children that homosexuality is wrong.

The same survey showed that parenting reflects the dominant ideology, in which homosexuality is treated as a rare exception.

Most parents assume that their children are heterosexual; only one in four even consider whether his or her child might grow up to be gay or lesbian.

(K. Martin, 2009)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:42 PM
9 moms liked this

We teach our son that families come in all shapes and forms, and that they are all "normal"

epoh
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter proposed to me the other day, over breakfast, that I might want to marry a woman. She's five.

I found her statement wonderful. I'm happy she's so open-minded. I also have taught my children that various types of relationships exist and they're all okay.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

We teach our son that families come in all shapes and forms, and that they are all "normal"

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

We have a number of gay and lesbian friends and family members, many of whom are married to or in long term relationships. Thus we have chosen the right thing to do and taught our children that it is okay to love who you love. I think that my children are heterosexual, but they are only 4 and 6, so who knows? I would hate to have taught them there was something wrong with being gay only to have them turn out gay and feeling like I don't accept them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I don't believe homosexuality is wrong so I'm definitely not one of those 1 in 5 that teaches its wrong. 

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I also love that my DS goes to a very diverse school. There are lots of different religions and ethnicities. There are single parents, there are blended families, there are international adoptions etc. It is a great melting pot

catrig
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM
It's a subject we talk about from time to time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM

My children are 4 & 6 and are the ones that asked me about homosexuality and told me that men and women get married, not women and women or men and men. We had the talk that that is not at all true and that you can marry whoever you want and whoever you love. They know that now and I am glad.

I have considered them being gay as adults. I wouldn't worry about my daughter but would about my son. I think females are more accepted in society and males are not as accepted, however it would not change my love for them at all. I am bisexual myself so obviously I know what it feels like to be dating someone of the same sex and getting stares from certain people and afraid to tell certain family members.

RayneofTerror
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM

We have always said "you future husband or wife" we don't assume our children's sexuality. 

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Elijah knows that love is love. Whether its between a man & woman, man & man, woman & woman, or sometimes both. We taught him that as long as they are both consenting it doesn't matter.We are open to the fact he may be gay or bi. We are fine with that. Homosexuality is NOT wrong in this house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyNCVE
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm not ready to discuss it with my 5 year old. In general, I teach him we are all Gods children and we should love everyone the same. He has NEVER heard me judge another person. I believe in leading by example. Kids learn their prejudices from home.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)