Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this true for you? Teaching your kids about homosexuality

Posted by   + Show Post
According to a national survey of mothers of three to six year olds, one in five mothers teaches her young children that homosexuality is wrong.

The same survey showed that parenting reflects the dominant ideology, in which homosexuality is treated as a rare exception.

Most parents assume that their children are heterosexual; only one in four even consider whether his or her child might grow up to be gay or lesbian.

(K. Martin, 2009)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Replies (91-100):
MrsBridges19
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:27 PM

So.... How do you explain homosexuality in other species of animals?

Quoting Anonymous:

Homosexuality is a genetic malfunction that is as wrong as down syndrome. In other words it isn't wrong but it might be reversable with couseling and supplements to increase testonterone levels.

gilbertgrl627
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Homosexuality hasn't really come up yet. But, if and when it does, I will not tell them it's wrong. I will tell them that some people are attracted to girls, some to boys, and some to both. That you can't help who you love. I know that there's a chance one of my children will be gay, and that doesn't really bother me (it only bothers me because I know that there are some freaks out there who get off on hurting gays). There are some in my family (who shall remain nameless) who do not "agree" with homosexuality, and I let it be known that if one of my children is gay, and they (that family member) treats them any differently or says something to them that is hurtful, I will not tolerate that I will no longer consider them a member of my family.

mama.samm.2.3
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:30 PM
I'd be a hyporcite. I'm a lesbian. And my girls all know that families are all different. And love is love. No matter who you love as long as you are happy thats all that matters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moneysaver6
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM
3 moms liked this
I know my reply won't be liked.

We have taught our children that homosexuality is a sin just like other sins. Is it a greater one? No, but it is a sin nonetheless.

Then again, we're also the crazy people who don't condone or encourage teens having sex and won't let our kids date until they are 18 & have graduated from high school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM
That's a nice idea in theory, but I never made a point of acknowledging breastfeeding vs bottle feeding with my child, and she was really surprised the first time she watched me feed her brother. She was used to seeing babies fed with bottles, just as the majority of kids are used to seeing heterosexual relationships.

I nonchalantly expressed that some people feed one way and some another, and now both are totally natural to her.

We've discussed homosexuality, so if she sees two guys/girls holding hands or being affectionate, it's not going to be a surprise to her, and I won't be forced into a spur of the moment explanation.

Quoting sammygrl77:

I think it is more of why point out differences because if you do it puts the focus on the difference. If you don't point it out, it is normal to them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do we teach kids anything? To prepare them for life.

I'd rather discuss the topic with them myself, than have my kids learn about it from other people/kids/TV.

Quoting abigailsmommy11:

I don't plan on teaching them about it until they are faced with it in their lives. Why bring up something that they don't even see?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM
We talking about all sorts of families, my son has a friend with same sex parents, so I think he will grow up feeling like it is pretty normal.

However, I assume he will be straight just statistically speaking. Anything works for me, but I do tend to assume he will be heterosexual.
lucsch
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM

This is a subject that has NOT come up with my 10yo. So, no we have not talked about it. She is a little young for this discussion. I also don't expect she will be having sex as a teen or need birth control.

Normal is what she experiences. I don't feel the need to encourage something that is a small minority of our society. If she asks about it, we will discuss it according to our beliefs.

rebecca.n
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:35 PM
2 moms liked this

As a Christian, I will raise my child as a heterosexual, and will try to teach them that the practice of homosexuality is a sin.

mitsukai127
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:35 PM
The subject hasn't come up with our DD but when it does we will teach her that it doesn't matter who love.
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I also teach my children that hate comes in all forms and some people have issues with same sex couples. I also teach them that if they ever come across anyone being hateful towards gay people, they need to run away fast because those aren't the type of people worthy of their time nor friendship.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured