Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Texas Teen Wins Right to Give Birth Over Parents’ Objections

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm curious as too what everyone's thought on this would be.

I'm completely pro-choice and feel no one has the right to try to persuade anyone including their daughter to get an abortion.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/02/texas-teen-wins-right-to-give-birth-over-parents-objections/

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM
I agree

Quoting Anonymous:

I choose not to judge others based on their reaction to a given situation. I have no clue what I would do in their shoes.

That being said, she's more than welcome to do whatever she pleases. That doesn't mean her parents have to support her and the baby financially. That's all I have to say on this subject.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I am pro-choice! This isn't the 1950's were women were put in homes and children ripped away from them!
I don't think the parents should have to pay for her medical and the needs of the baby though, she made her choice, now she needs to pull herself up and take responsibility!
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:30 PM
So sad that parents would do this
I wouldnt be jumping for joy but i wouldnt force my dd to get an abortion
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lalalie
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM
I don't think it is resentment and anger that all parents feel. It is more sympathy and concern. We know that our kids won't be able to provide for a child they bring in to the world, and we know they aren't prepared. I don't think a child should be forced in to an abortion, but I also don't think it should be a cushioned experience.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:35 PM
So she chooses to give birth to a baby, and to take on that responsibiliry yet doesnt have to pay her own bill??? That makes no sense. She gets her car back, her cell phone back, and her hospital bill paid. The car and phone she probably only has because of her parents anyway. Are we sure she really wanted to keep the baby or did she just not want to be punished?
NoahandEliza
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
They weren't forcing her to have an abortion! Basically, they were saying if you want to be an adult and keep this baby, you're going to act like it and we won't be financially supporting you. I find it ridiculous that a judge can force them to give her a car and cell phone. Those are not necessities, nor do a lot of teens have them to begin with. Parents take these PRIVILEDGES away everyday for much less, why are they not allowed to decide their own child's punishment?
CountryLayne
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Did you not read the story?

Quoting NoahandEliza:

They weren't forcing her to have an abortion! Basically, they were saying if you want to be an adult and keep this baby, you're going to act like it and we won't be financially supporting you. I find it ridiculous that a judge can force them to give her a car and cell phone. Those are not necessities, nor do a lot of teens have them to begin with. Parents take these PRIVILEDGES away everyday for much less, why are they not allowed to decide their own child's punishment?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM

This is a great ruling :) My fiancé (female) was forced to abort her baby after a rape. Her parents did not speak of it again after they forced it upon her. She still has violent nightmares about the entire situation. I feel her parents are as bad as the rapist. She is almost 32 and this happened at 14. This is not a decision someone else should make for the pregnant woman. 

AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Quoting mcclainprincess:

i am pro choice and i fully support this teens decision. No one should be forced to abort or carry a baby to term if they don't want to.
jynkx
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM

did she also win the right to support it herself?  just curious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN