Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Texas Teen Wins Right to Give Birth Over Parents’ Objections

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm curious as too what everyone's thought on this would be.

I'm completely pro-choice and feel no one has the right to try to persuade anyone including their daughter to get an abortion.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/02/texas-teen-wins-right-to-give-birth-over-parents-objections/

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Let my teenager pull this shit. I would turn and demand they emancipate her fucking ass. I would never make my child abort but let her run to a judge. Shed be done.
Lordgodempress
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:10 PM

While I absolutely think she has the right to choose not to have an abortion, does she have the right to choose an abortion?  I do not know for sure but at one time didn't minors have to get parental consent to have an abortion?  Why does she have the right to become a parent but not the right to decide not to become one?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM
I was OK with it until I read the article.

What a fucking little brat. That judge went way overboard. Making her parents give her a car a phone and pay half of her medical bills which means all of it cause that little girl won't be ableto pay all of it.

When my sister had my niece my mom made her pay all of her medical back. My mom didn't have maternity on her insurance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM
So now our kids can go to a judge when we take their cars and phones away and a judge will make us give them back.

Hot damn.
AkashaGermaine
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM
School is a privilege?

Quoting NoahandEliza:

They weren't forcing her to have an abortion! Basically, they were saying if you want to be an adult and keep this baby, you're going to act like it and we won't be financially supporting you. I find it ridiculous that a judge can force them to give her a car and cell phone. Those are not necessities, nor do a lot of teens have them to begin with. Parents take these PRIVILEDGES away everyday for much less, why are they not allowed to decide their own child's punishment?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I think being forced into an abortion was wrong. I am happy she won that battle, however, her parents should not have to give her a car nor a cell phone. The teen wants to play an adult game, let her provide all those items for herself and her child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Well she should work. She has responsibilities now.

A car and a phone are rewards that I as a parent can and will revoke when I choose.

I paid for the car. Its my car. I can take it back as I see fit.

Same for the phone which would be on my line.

I don't agree with some of this ruling at all
mommieof3_752
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Im happy for her...

SparklingHope
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM

While I don't agree that she got pregnant so young, I'm glad that her and the boyfriend are standing up to do the responsible thing. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Shes talking about the phone and car. Those parents should not have to give those things back and most definitely that girl should work.

Quoting AkashaGermaine:

School is a privilege?

Quoting NoahandEliza:

They weren't forcing her to have an abortion! Basically, they were saying if you want to be an adult and keep this baby, you're going to act like it and we won't be financially supporting you. I find it ridiculous that a judge can force them to give her a car and cell phone. Those are not necessities, nor do a lot of teens have them to begin with. Parents take these PRIVILEDGES away everyday for much less, why are they not allowed to decide their own child's punishment?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)