Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Texas Teen Wins Right to Give Birth Over Parents’ Objections

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm curious as too what everyone's thought on this would be.

I'm completely pro-choice and feel no one has the right to try to persuade anyone including their daughter to get an abortion.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/02/texas-teen-wins-right-to-give-birth-over-parents-objections/

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Replies (71-77):
suzyma14
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM
My mom tried to do the same when I was 16, but I was already 6mo. And they said they cant do an abortion, cauae it would be murder. What this girl did was brave, but I dont agree about parents paying for her medical bills. Brave yes, but she took an adult step, and she is not a child. If she want to put a fence between her parents and herself she won. Her parents have the right to take her to court and refusing to foot any medical bills. It goes both ways...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I'm glad.  She should not be forced to abort, give up for adoption or keep it if she doesn't want to.  It SHOULD be her choice.

0Kit0
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Agreed. Shes grown enough to be a parent then she should take all responsibility associated with it. Judge should enforce that. The parents didn't choose to have another child. The kid did.

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

I think its great she isn't forced to abort, but for her parents to still have to give her the car, pay medical, and cell phone is ridiculous!!

RobsPrincess24
by ThePrincess on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

While I'm happy that she gets to keep her baby, I don't think her parents should have to be responsible for her actions. They should be exempt from paying any of her bills. It was her "adult" decision to go out and get pregnant, therefore she needs to be an "adult" and get a job that will support her, and the baby. Medical bills, car insurance, cell phone bill, etc. included.

0Kit0
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM
But she went to court because she thinks she's grown. She needs to support her child not her parents. If you want to be an adult,BE an adult. Can't pull out the I'm still a child card when you want. Glad she xan keep her kid but shouldn't be forcing it on her parents.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am too. Her parents have to grin and bare it. All part of having a girl.

She is their daughter and should be responsible for her healthcare.

She needs a phone for emegencies and a way to get to the doctor. Her parents don't want to ensure she get there so yes the judge ordered her parents to give her stuff back so she can get there herself.

Quoting mommieof3_752:

Im happy for her...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I'm pro life and I am very glad she won but I don't really think it's fair to force the parents to pay her bills. Parents have no right to force their children to abort or keep a baby but her choice is her choice and her consequences.

Mommie2Kailen
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:30 PM

after reading some of the opinions, i have to say I agree with some of the issues you all brought up.

1. I wouldn't give her a car ( although the article reads as if it is "her car" and the parents were taking it away. ) If she saved and bought the car they should not take it. If they paid or helped pay for it, I feel she should only be able to use it for school, job, and appointments and nothing more.

2. The cell phone - yeah that's not a necessity. If she wanted it, she would have too foot the bill on her own.

3. She's a minor so by law, the parents are responsible for her health-care. the babies expenses, yeah I'm not sure. I know she could get medical assistance, but i feel that if they are required to pay for the baby, so should the boys family.

4. They shouldnt have pulled her out of school. Why make a difficult situation worse.

My thoughts on the parents - they need to get a grip and face reality. She screwed up and got pregnant, their idiots thinking that bullying her will gain them success in this situation.

I hope things will work out for her, the baby and her parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN