Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help me sort out the bedrooms

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies

Poll

Question: Which option do you think is more fair?

Options:

Mine

Fiance'

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 30

View Results

I am engaged and getting married in 6 months. Me and my fiance have decided to move in together now 1. because his lease is up and if he moved in with me and my kids now, it would save money and 2. because this way we could get everyone used to living together before the wedding.

I have a pretty standard 3 bedroom home, aside from the bedrooms, the floor plan is pretty much open, meaning there isn't any way to turn some of the living space into an extra bedroom. Moving to a bigger home, at this point, is not an option.

So we have 3 bedrooms and I have 3 kids, he has 2. My kids are:

DD 15

DD 13

DS 7

His kids are:

DS 17

DS  14

His boys only visit him every other weekend, actually, not even because they are often spending the night at friend's homes. My kids live with me full time, their dad lives far away and usually just visit them when he visits his mom (who lives in town).

Right now, my two girls have a room, DS has a room and I have a room.

When fiance' moves in, obviously I think he should share my room and I think his boys should just camp on the fold out couch and everything else should stay the same.

I just don't see another way. According to CPS, in our state, none biologically related children can not share a room if they are different genders and if they are the same gender, they can't be more then 5 years apart to share a room.

He thinks that DS 7 should have bunk beds in his room and give up his room to fiance's kids when they come over and HE should sleep on the fold out couch or on a blow up mattress with his sisters.

I don't think that is right, I mean, what does that say to my son "yeah, that's your room unless your step brothers are here". My fiance's kids have  bedrooms at their mom's house, one that he helps pay for via child support so I don't think it would hurt for them to sleep on the fold out couch every other weekend.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM
3 moms liked this
Boy room and girl room. Your son will only have to share a few days a month.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kkkaaayyyy
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Agreed

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Tatiana7
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:34 PM
They get futons and stuff and crash in the boys room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Legally, my son 7, can't share a room with his because they are not related and they are more then 5 years apart, I could actually lose custody of DS if my ex wanted to push it.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

audreesmama
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:35 PM
One room for each gender, and one for you and your fiancé. With the 5 year rule though, it doesn't sound like anything will work..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I agree.  How would CPS even know if you're letting the kids bunk together?

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Anonymous

Quoting Tatiana7:

They get futons and stuff and crash in the boys room.

Legally, my son 7, can't share a room with his because they are not related and they are more then 5 years apart, I could actually lose custody of DS if my ex wanted to push it.

Anonymous

Quoting kkkaaayyyy:

Agreed

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

RobsPrincess24
by ThePrincess on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Your two girls should share a room, and all the boys should share a room. If his boys aren't even there that often, then there should be no problem.

EvilAsh
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I would give his kids a room, your daughters a room, and your son his own. That's how I would work it out personally.

Oh duh, then you guys need a room LOL... Girls in one, boys in the other.

Another edit, he should NOT have to give up his room. that's not fair at all. Maybe get a futon in his room for the boys to sleep on when they're there? Or an air mattress?

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN