Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is your discipline strategy and honestly

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Are your kids brats? Mine are, so obviously I need a new strategy

They are 8,5 and 4
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wulfeyes05
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM
I spank, but only if the situation warrants it. If my oldest hurts his brother on purpose then he gets a swat. That's all it takes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM

My DD gets time outs for most things. However if she does something that would normally result in her getting hurt I have no problem spanking her.  She can be a brat but I think most kids go through some pretty bratty days.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Bump
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM

mine aren't.

we have structure, and consistancy.

we use: timeouts, spanking, discussion, and apologies. my kids are 5, 3, and 1

ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:52 PM

We do time-outs, and when he's being exceptionally naughty he gets sent to my bed and has to sit or lay down until he's calm. We started employing that strategy when we noticed the only time he had meltdowns was when he was tired, so when he's sent to my bed, he tends to fall asleep, or at least relax enough to talk to us.

My son is not a brat. He has his moments, but he's very well-behaved and well-mannered most of the time. I'm the manners police, so he knew please and thank you as soon as he started talking. It drives my husband crazy sometimes because I'm always on their cases if they forget to ask nicely, say thank you, or offer to share. Cooper rarely forgets anymore, which pleases me. :)

PerfectVirgo
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I set rules and consequences and follow through. Even if it kills me inside, I don't give in. I sold my sons Xbox 2 years ago for getting bad grades. He's been on honor roll since, but I still haven't replaced it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maybe80
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM

We talk. I mean TALK and show examples of proper behavior. 

We say, when something goes bad, you lose good things you have. When something happens as an accident, we talk about how it can be prevented. This works with our 8 yr old son really well. 

Example: You have to behave this way, and do these chores, and not whine.. if this is done everyday you can have THIS AND THIS. Dont follow these rules, then we keep going down until bedtimes are early and then extra schoolwork gets added.

Younger kids we count 1 2 3... DONE, then its GONE. Time out.

We also say that the minute we find out that anyone is bullying or being mean, the nice stuff is GONE FOREVER. If someone has been very bad we make them hold their hands out for awhile. THAT RARELY HAS HAPPENED. Stick to it and it will catch on within a couple of days. 

BabySocks0912
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Mine is a brat. But he's just a kid, he's 3. To day your kid is never a brat is hard to believe.

He gets a swat if he does something dangerous. Other than that's its time out until everyone is calm them a discussion. He's a pretty good kid. He's kind, uses his manners and has the biggest heart.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I parent with Love and Logic.  It's a book.  You should read it.

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM

honestly, my kids are all very opinionated, loud & bossy.  they get that from both of their parents.  my parenting strategy is to talk to them 1st, if that doesn't work, they get a time out, 3rd time comes with a spanking.  i don't spank very often.  but i let a lot slide that other parents probably wouldn't.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)