Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

yes another PA post ( wwyd in this situation)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies

Family is on PA. The family has been on PA for a year due to the husband getting laid off. The mother is working but only making minimum wage.

Husband get a job offer making $18 hour, which would get them off of PA, BUT, the job is only temporary, only lasting 4 weeks. The job is also 3 hours away from the house, which means the husband would have to travel and stay in a motel while he is there.  The problem is If the husband has to travel and stay there, then the mother would have to quit her job because her job has weird hours, sometimes not getting off work until 7pm and sometimes later. They have 2 kids one is 13 the other is only 10. The 10 year old  can go to after school care but after school care ends at 5:30. So when the mother is working late until 7 or later there would be nobody to pick that child up from after school care being that they have no family or friend around. And then you have Saturdays and Sundays, she has to work and would have nobody to watch the kids and can't leave the 10 year old and the 13 year old home alone all day long.

IF he took this job and she quit her job, after this job is done he would once again be without work but so would she, so there would be no income what so ever coming in the home, which in turn would mean they would need even more PA then what they were already  getting.

If he turns down the job then she can keep working and he can continue to look for work that works with her schedule. He is currently looking for work  that  A) That would make enough where the family could get off PA and the mom could became a sahm again. B) that the hours would be from 11pm to 7 am , which would work around the moms schedule. or C) where he can be off by 5pm to get their son  from school.

So do you think he should take that job even though after the 4 weeks is gone they would be worse off than they were before he took the job.

This is just on situation that some of the folks who are on PA may have face and this is real story, as well. There are plenty of situation that people don' t live and don't know about that cause some families to be on PA. 90% of people on PA don't want to be on PA, a lot of them never had to use PA a day in their life but then life happen and their world fell apart and they had to do what they had to do.

So what is you take on this situation.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I say how about the husband join some branch of the military and help that way.  The mother can continue to work until the husband is done with basic and AIT, and then go to the duty station.  Unless of course the husband isn't able to join because of a disability.  But most people don't look at the military for an answer while alot of people on PA would benefit from it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM
The 13 yr old can watch the 10 yr old. No problem. I did it w my kids. My 8 yr stayed by herself afterschool till 14 yr old came home from school.
Its only for 4 wks.

Then again, those 4 wks wont bring in much income if hes paying motel and meals. And wont make a dent in the over all situation.
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM

it goes against everything i believe in to say this, but, no, he shouldn't take the job.

Blessedlife79
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I wouldnt have him take it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Military is downsizing for starters and this is also not a reason to join the military.  Some do but part of them wants to.

The others that really didnt, let me tell you it shows! 

Quoting Anonymous:

I say how about the husband join some branch of the military and help that way.  The mother can continue to work until the husband is done with basic and AIT, and then go to the duty station.  Unless of course the husband isn't able to join because of a disability.  But most people don't look at the military for an answer while alot of people on PA would benefit from it.

MDWife12
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I would pass, its only temporary and you wiuld be back on assistance within a month and worse off bc mom had to quit her job .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AprilDJC
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM
The military is making cuts lol. Its a little harder to get in than it used to be. But the benefits are good. Base housing, low cost medical and dental. Its not a bad idea if he could get in. the pay is really really low for lower enlisted though.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1stpreggers
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM
I wouldn't take it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robyann
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM

It's hard but I don't think he should take the job. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured