Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am on Public Assistance ask me anything.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

If you are going to be rude  i will skip by your reply but i will answer any "normal" questions. I am doing this post so maybe some of you can understand why some of us are on PA.

We are not leeches or moochers. I am not lazy, or worthless or anything else that you pa hater want to call those of us who are down on our luck.

Please try to keep this post nice and clean.

THANKS!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

we got on PA for the first time when my husband lost his job. a year later we had to apply. that was a year ago. He is looking for a job any job, if he finds one, we will have 2 incomes and will be getting off of PA  even if it is 2 incomes at minimum wage;and in the meantimes i am putting back any extra money i can to save toward getting off of PA.

Quoting Anonymous:

What is your plan to get off assistance?

Unemployment runs for more than a year....or was he fired and not eligable?  How many kids do you have? How many hours do YOU work?

i don't know what happen all we know is that we got a letter stating his unemployment had ran out. We have 2 kids. My  hours vary. Within the past 2 weeks i have work 88 hours.  sometimes i only get 60 hours in 2 weeks. sometimes I get 70. It depends on how busy we are. I work on my days off, if they need me, i work over times if they need me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

1 year.

Quoting Anonymous:

How long have you been on it?  And what forms are you receiving?

What types of PA are you receiving?

Food stamps and medicaid

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM
I am disabled and don't see why its such a big deal if the person or family needs it. I am on it. Yes tax payers pay for it but when it comes out of their check it is no longer theirs. The tax payers can't even tell you how much comes out for that specific program. And it doesn't all go to welfare either but they don't care.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:13 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

wow she doesn't deserve respect? That's a terribly cruel thing to say and karma has away of coming back and biting you on the butt. You may not need pa but you may need help some day some way and I hope for your sake no one is that cruel to you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:13 PM

yes we live in a rural area, a really small town. He did the same thing for 14 years. He has looked at temp places, junk yard, home depo , factories. He is either overqualified or don't have the experience needed.

The type of work that he did  before doesn't have anything going on in the state that we live in anymore. Hopefully work will start back up or he can find something else.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you live in a rural area? Why are jobs scarce for your DH?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I am disabled and don't see why its such a big deal if the person or family needs it. I am on it. Yes tax payers pay for it but when it comes out of their check it is no longer theirs. The tax payers can't even tell you how much comes out for that specific program. And it doesn't all go to welfare either but they don't care.

21% of the 22K I paid last year went to medicaid, FS EIC and other forms of PA.  Do you think people are too stupid to be able to figure it out?

And why does it have to come out of our checks?  These programs were created-and have been reformed and changed over the years-in the 70's they got rid of lifetime cash assistance...why does everyone think nothing can ever be changed?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

we got on PA for the first time when my husband lost his job. a year later we had to apply. that was a year ago. He is looking for a job any job, if he finds one, we will have 2 incomes and will be getting off of PA  even if it is 2 incomes at minimum wage;and in the meantimes i am putting back any extra money i can to save toward getting off of PA.

Quoting Anonymous:

Unemployment runs for more than a year....or was he fired and not eligable?  How many kids do you have? How many hours do YOU work?

i don't know what happen all we know is that we got a letter stating his unemployment had ran out. We have 2 kids. My  hours vary. Within the past 2 weeks i have work 88 hours.  sometimes i only get 60 hours in 2 weeks. sometimes I get 70. It depends on how busy we are. I work on my days off, if they need me, i work over times if they need me.

And you never appealed? What state are you in?

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:17 PM

You said we are not leeches and moochers....

Quoting Anonymous:

But i can speak for myself.

Quoting wkukid:

You can't speak for a whole group...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

2 years ago my husband got laid off from a good paying job. For the first year we lived off of our savings and unemployment. then Jan of 2012 we applied for  PA. WE ran through our savings and his unemployment ran out. In Feb of 2012 i found a job making minimum wage.

He has been looking for work too but the only thing that has came up has been short term out of town, which isn't something we can do with my job.

Quoting MaMa.Lu:

Why are you on Public Assistance?

Why did you wait 2 years to look for a job? What happened to the one you had when he got laid off? And how is all of this bad luck?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:19 PM

He has a fantastic work history. But he only has a high school  education. He went straight from high school to working doing what he did for 14 years.  We think it has to do with most of the job look at his resume and think he is overqualified for the job he is applying for. He isn't applying for anything in his field because there isn't any work going on here in the field that he was  working in. other jobs is he don't have the experience needed for them.

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you think is preventing your dh from getting another job?  Does he have a good education?  A good employment history?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)