Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My in laws keep calling my DD by a name that is not hers

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My DD's name is Isabelle. She is 5 months old and we call her Issy. My inlaws and DH are Filipino and while DH loves the name, his parents don't like that it is not a Spanish sounding name. We also have a 3 year old and his name is Wesley, they didn't like that either but me and DH both love the names.

Anyway, they call her Isabella and they have DH's whole family doing it now, it makes me so mad  and both me and DH have told them that is not her name. Still, they call her it over and over and refuse to call her by either her name or her nickname. They say that Isabelle is too "white" of a name. BTW I am white. I don't want my DD growing up thinking her name is Isabella.

I am ready to say that if they can't call her by her name, they can stay away from her until they can. Me and DH chose her name and I don't know why they think they have the right to question it.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see the big deal. They don't sound all that nice, so I probably wouldn't spend much time around them anyway. But, I wouldn't care what they called her. It's pretty close to her name. And, she's going to know just fine what her name is. She has a whole long life to live. She will figure it out...
Jcothrine
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:27 PM
you are the parents and get to pick the name..not them.. they need to get over it... JC
jedwards2009
Eh doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Dds name is Joanna, a lot of people call her joann. I dont like it, but there's more important things in life to get mad about :).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:27 PM
I don't see the big deal.
aikimomof3
2 moms liked this

If you and DH are on the same page, then do what you feel you must. But I would make DH tell them since it's his family.

HousewifeNina
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM
5 moms liked this
Wow.
Do they love her?
Do they treat her kindly?

If yes to above, get a grip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my4loves4
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

i don't think it will confuse her to much. My grandparents called my cousin a diffrent name (he was named after my father, who killed himself shortly after i was born, they couldnt bear to call him that so they picked a new name) My cousin grew up just fine, He knows his real name and never questioned why my grandparent called him anything else. she'll learn with age that grandparents do odd things. grandparents won't live forever, sometimes its best to just let things slide nomatter how annoying it is.

SimplyEnchanted
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM
13 moms liked this
Call them by other names until they realize how annoying it is :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM
My dad's dad would sometimes call me by a boys name until i was 5 because he thought my dad really wanted a boy. I remember a few a those times and thought he was being silly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM
5 moms liked this

Absolutely not, I hate the name, I don't know why but it just irks me. Plus I feel it is disrespectful, we named her, she is our child and people should call her as we tell them to.

Quoting Anonymous:

i would just get over it .... think of it as their nick name for her.....  my son is jameson  i call him james or bill.... both clearly are not his name my sister is nicolette but we occasionally call her nicole  and my other dd is juliana  we call her julia or even juliet.....  seriously just let it go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)