Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My in laws keep calling my DD by a name that is not hers

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My DD's name is Isabelle. She is 5 months old and we call her Issy. My inlaws and DH are Filipino and while DH loves the name, his parents don't like that it is not a Spanish sounding name. We also have a 3 year old and his name is Wesley, they didn't like that either but me and DH both love the names.

Anyway, they call her Isabella and they have DH's whole family doing it now, it makes me so mad  and both me and DH have told them that is not her name. Still, they call her it over and over and refuse to call her by either her name or her nickname. They say that Isabelle is too "white" of a name. BTW I am white. I don't want my DD growing up thinking her name is Isabella.

I am ready to say that if they can't call her by her name, they can stay away from her until they can. Me and DH chose her name and I don't know why they think they have the right to question it.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Replies (21-30):
Kaylawv2
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly I would let it slide. It's not worth causing huge drama over it. Be the bigger person!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:30 PM
She's your kid, you get to name her. I'd tell them bye bye.
LaceNBklyn
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Personally its not that big of a deal to keep them away from her. Its not like her name is vicky and they call her susan.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.Nobody.
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:30 PM
My Mexican in-laws add an "a" to the end of my daughters name. I don't mind. They don't do it out of spite though....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

It is the same thing, Isabelle and Isabella are two different names. My name is Julie and people would sometimes try to call me Julia, yes, it is one letter but it makes it two different names

Quoting LaceNBklyn:

Personally its not that big of a deal to keep them away from her. Its not like her name is vicky and they call her susan.

conweis
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:32 PM
My family calls my oldest Jacob even though his name is Sephiroth. For a long time he kept calling himself Jacob. Freaking annoying but now he uses his first name.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:32 PM
3 moms liked this

its not that serious that is all i am saying.....  her grandmother one day is going to die and she will remember how she always used to call her isabella.....  either name is beautiful really.  life is to short to fight over something so petty.

Quoting Anonymous:

Absolutely not, I hate the name, I don't know why but it just irks me. Plus I feel it is disrespectful, we named her, she is our child and people should call her as we tell them to.

Quoting Anonymous:

i would just get over it .... think of it as their nick name for her.....  my son is jameson  i call him james or bill.... both clearly are not his name my sister is nicolette but we occasionally call her nicole  and my other dd is juliana  we call her julia or even juliet.....  seriously just let it go.

xpectingmama10
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:33 PM
My dads name is Sammy and his dad called him Samuel even though they put sammy on the birth certificate. It's just a nickname...I dont get pissed when people call my daughter Maddie instead off Madison my dad calls her Matt Matt. Doesn't bug me at all. I don't think that's a reason to keep her away from her grandparents.
HaleyCovington
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Do what you gotta do... My mom always calls Layton Laydon.... Drives me crazy. I just correct her and go on my way. I think hers is just more of a accident tho. Some of my in laws wanted to call him LC.... I politely said not a chance. Lol
LaceNBklyn
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Its not the same thing. Pick and chose your battles.

Quoting Anonymous:

It is the same thing, Isabelle and Isabella are two different names. My name is Julie and people would sometimes try to call me Julia, yes, it is one letter but it makes it two different names

Quoting LaceNBklyn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN