Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My in laws keep calling my DD by a name that is not hers

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My DD's name is Isabelle. She is 5 months old and we call her Issy. My inlaws and DH are Filipino and while DH loves the name, his parents don't like that it is not a Spanish sounding name. We also have a 3 year old and his name is Wesley, they didn't like that either but me and DH both love the names.

Anyway, they call her Isabella and they have DH's whole family doing it now, it makes me so mad  and both me and DH have told them that is not her name. Still, they call her it over and over and refuse to call her by either her name or her nickname. They say that Isabelle is too "white" of a name. BTW I am white. I don't want my DD growing up thinking her name is Isabella.

I am ready to say that if they can't call her by her name, they can stay away from her until they can. Me and DH chose her name and I don't know why they think they have the right to question it.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:34 PM
I understand....my name is Danyelle....I hate it when someone calls me Danyella
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
You're seriously whining about an "a"? Seriously? That is probably the most pathetic thing I have seen on cm in awhile.

Quoting Anonymous:

My DD's name is Isabelle. She is 5 months old and we call her Issy. My inlaws and DH are Filipino and while DH loves the name, his parents don't like that it is not a Spanish sounding name. We also have a 3 year old and his name is Wesley, they didn't like that either but me and DH both love the names.

Anyway, they call her Isabella and they have DH's whole family doing it now, it makes me so mad  and both me and DH have told them that is not her name. Still, they call her it over and over and refuse to call her by either her name or her nickname. They say that Isabelle is too "white" of a name. BTW I am white. I don't want my DD growing up thinking her name is Isabella.

I am ready to say that if they can't call her by her name, they can stay away from her until they can. Me and DH chose her name and I don't know why they think they have the right to question it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paigesmommy5264
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM
I agree with you... tell them the can't come around if they can't call her by her correct name.
mom2ljh
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM
4 moms liked this
The Phillippines were settled by Spaniards and they maintain a lot of Hispanic culture in their own. Many Filipinos have very Hispanic sounding names. I thought this was common knowledge?

Quoting heresjohnny:

They're filipino and they're upset she doesn't have a "spanish" name?

tennisgal
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:36 PM

You are over the top. Yes, they are being a bit silly, but you're really going to keep a grandchild from her grandparents (whom I'm assuming are normally good people since this is really kind of petty)?? That would be devastating to strain the relationship over something so insignificant.

mom2ljh
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this
It is NOT her child's name. It's the same as when people call my son London. That is NOT his name. If I wanted him to be called London, I would have given him that name. Same for the OP. If she wanted her child called Isabella, she would have named her that. That silly a changes the whole name.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're seriously whining about an "a"? Seriously? That is probably the most pathetic thing I have seen on cm in awhile.

Quoting Anonymous:

BlahNomMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:38 PM
That will be one to tell her when she's older, "mommy why don't I see daddys family?".
"oh they added an uh to the end of your name".... Õ.õ this is the face she will most likely be making

Hun , its not that bad, my SOs Mamaw calls our daughter, Lonnie.... Her name is Luciana, we call her Lana. It's not because she doesn't know the difference, she just likes lonnie more, but she loves Lana and I wouldn't deprive her of having her in her life . If that's the worst thing about this family then you're luck dear
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:39 PM
I think that's an absurd reason to cut your daughter's grandparents out of her life. Is it annoying to you? Sure. Is it disrespectful? Maybe (although I personally wouldn't feel that way). But is it a good reason to tell otherwise good people, who love your daughter that they can't see her anymore? No way. You're sounding a little crazy here.
crysjuls
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Isabelle IS a Spanish sounding name.Im Hispanic and I've seen a lot of girls named Isabelle, pronounced ee-sah-vel.

My son's name is jaden, dh's family keep calling him goyo after his grandfather that passed away when he was 3 weeks old. His name was gregorio (Gregory). Now THAT pissed me off. Jaden and gregorio don't even sound alike at all! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyinindiana
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

i agree with you. if they cannot call her by her given name then they do not need to see her until they can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)