Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My in laws keep calling my DD by a name that is not hers

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My DD's name is Isabelle. She is 5 months old and we call her Issy. My inlaws and DH are Filipino and while DH loves the name, his parents don't like that it is not a Spanish sounding name. We also have a 3 year old and his name is Wesley, they didn't like that either but me and DH both love the names.

Anyway, they call her Isabella and they have DH's whole family doing it now, it makes me so mad  and both me and DH have told them that is not her name. Still, they call her it over and over and refuse to call her by either her name or her nickname. They say that Isabelle is too "white" of a name. BTW I am white. I don't want my DD growing up thinking her name is Isabella.

I am ready to say that if they can't call her by her name, they can stay away from her until they can. Me and DH chose her name and I don't know why they think they have the right to question it.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM
White people problems lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Filipinos are spanish?

Anonymous
And why can you pick a nickname for her but they can't? Just let them, it's not harming anyone.
Anonymous

I get it if I have a girl I plan to name her Sophia but my fiancĂ© says people will call her Sophie which I would refuse to allow because that is a completely different name and I don't like it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:43 PM
We have an Isabel and we call her Izzy and it so annoys me when relatives and others call her Isabella. It is not her name. If I wanted her to be Isabella, I woild have named her that.
Blueliner
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Isabella is closer to Isabelle than Issy really... I'd just get over it.

heresjohnny
by Emerald Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Well apparently not. My FIL is Filipino, my cousin's wife is Filipino, and I had Filipino friends growing up, none of them have Spanish names. My family has Spanish (from Spain) roots, a lot of them are fluent in Spanish, and even they don't have Spanish sounding names. And I grew up in a very large Hispanic community, so I'm well aware of Spanish names and how to pronounce them.

Quoting mom2ljh:

The Phillippines were settled by Spaniards and they maintain a lot of Hispanic culture in their own. Many Filipinos have very Hispanic sounding names. I thought this was common knowledge?

Quoting heresjohnny:

They're filipino and they're upset she doesn't have a "spanish" name?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM
At least they can spell it correctly. No one in dh's family spells dd's name correctly. It makes me angry, bc one day she will get a bday card or something and ask me why they don't know how to spell her name. They know, just choose not to bc of what I named her. Ugh.
Good luck
Leobaby2007
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:48 PM

My Filipina friend from high school had a Spanish last name and both her parents were born in the Philipines. Spain colonized the Philipine Islands at one time in history. I think that must be why OP's in laws insist their granddaughter have a more Spanish sounding first name. I think it's bullshit, but I believe this is why.

Quoting heresjohnny:

Leobaby2007
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Me too. I had a couple of really good friends in high school who were of Philipino descent and they had Spanish last names. I can't believe more peope don't know this.

Quoting mom2ljh:

The Phillippines were settled by Spaniards and they maintain a lot of Hispanic culture in their own. Many Filipinos have very Hispanic sounding names. I thought this was common knowledge?

Quoting heresjohnny:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)