Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My in laws keep calling my DD by a name that is not hers

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My DD's name is Isabelle. She is 5 months old and we call her Issy. My inlaws and DH are Filipino and while DH loves the name, his parents don't like that it is not a Spanish sounding name. We also have a 3 year old and his name is Wesley, they didn't like that either but me and DH both love the names.

Anyway, they call her Isabella and they have DH's whole family doing it now, it makes me so mad  and both me and DH have told them that is not her name. Still, they call her it over and over and refuse to call her by either her name or her nickname. They say that Isabelle is too "white" of a name. BTW I am white. I don't want my DD growing up thinking her name is Isabella.

I am ready to say that if they can't call her by her name, they can stay away from her until they can. Me and DH chose her name and I don't know why they think they have the right to question it.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Replies (411-414):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM
I don't let anyone call me Dany unless they are family...

Quoting othermom:

My mom actually named me Danelle after a charater in a book whos nickname was Danni. I hated it while growing up though and finally was okay when my friends started to call me Danni when I was 18.

Quoting Anonymous:

My whole family calls me Dany

Quoting othermom:

In one of my classes in high school I set between a Daniel and a Danielle so my name was said wrong all the time. I am actually surprised when it is sai d correctly when I first meet some one. When I was a kid my Aunt called me Nelli  which I hated and as an adult I had some friends who called me Danni

Quoting sthflachk:

Lol...auto correct got me. I knew a Dawnelle once.

Quoting othermom:

Yeah

Quoting sthflachk:

Do you day it Dan L ?

Quoting othermom:

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand....my name is Danyelle....I hate it when someone calls me Danyella

My names Danelle and I often have people call me Danielle. The only time it annoys me is when I am signing up for something, like a magazine and I put it correct but when I get the magazine they have it spelled wrong like I don't know how to spell my own name

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:22 PM

You are making a mountain out of a molehill IMO. My kids have about 10 different nick names, for different reasons. As long as our families love our kids-they are free to pick one of our nick names or give one of their own.

Maybe Isabel-a sounds beautiful to them and fits a beautiful baby?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Well, she is 29 so she would probably love going back to high school.  She loved it.  She only knows a few words of the tribal language she is descended from.  All I know is it starts with a T and is a long word.--Not Spanish. 

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter in law is half Phillipino, I will have to tell her she is speaking Spanish, LOL 

Quoting Anonymous:

Alot of Filipinos have Spanish names

Quoting heresjohnny:

They're filipino and they're upset she doesn't have a "spanish" name?

SO, what is wrong with that,- 2 years Mandatory in high-School ?

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:06 AM

I would let it go. It's more important that she have a relationship with her Grandparents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured