Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moms who got epidurals

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Why? I mean, why beyond the fact that it hurt?

I knew I would have a drug free birth before I ever got pregnant with ds but after going through the childbirth and being presented the information on edipurals it just left wondering why anyone would ever want one.

Why would you try so hard to keep your unborn baby healthy for 9 months, only to pump him full of narcotics at the last minute? And then all of the other meds that have to be pumped into your system because of the epidural...it causes labor to slow down so they give you pitocin, it causes your blood pressure to drop so they give you blood pressure meds. And all of it goes to your tiny little baby.

Then there's the side effects. It's possible to end up with horrible headaches for years, muscle and nerve damage, paralysis...the list goes on. And you can't feel what you're doing while you push so aren't you more likely to do some damage?

Honestly not trying to bash here but it just confuses me why anyone would do this. Once again, I know the obvious answer is "because it hurts" but my question is why is not worth it to be in temporary pain when there are so many risks associated with the alternative?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Replies (11-20):
gwebkeijmmm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM
3 moms liked this
Ooh, come on now! It woulda been fine! Excuses, excuses.

Quoting laranadtony:

Because I had a csection and it would not have been too much fun without it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pinkprincess008
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Because I wanted to.
jadsmummy
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM
2 moms liked this
The risks are microscopic. my babies weren't pumped full of narcotics you have been reading too many blogs. Risk vs benefit. It was enormously risky driving in a car to the hospital compared to the risk of the epi.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM
3 moms liked this

Why do you care? If you went drug free good for you...but honestly why do you care what some other woman did during her birth?

I didn't get any "other drugs" after getting my epidural...I wasn't given pitocin, I wasn't given bp meds, my bp didn't drop, neither did baby.
The epi took the edge off but I could absolutely feel to push

Yurixsi
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM
I had it only with 1st next 2 were with nothing not even iv.
LucyHarper

Some people want pain medication, its not that big of a deal. The odds of something bad happening are slim and I've never seen a baby suffer from it being done. I had a natural birth, but if someone else wants an epidural, I don't think any less of them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM

My doctor didn't give me a choice, I had pre eclempsia.

Side effect of labour pain = raises your blood pressure

side effect of epidural = lowers your blood pressure.

So there you go.

BTW, those are POSSIBLE side effects.  I never got a single one, neither did anyone else Ive ever met you got epidural.  

lendales_mommi
1 mom liked this

Horrible labor and a c section...it was the best choice for me and my son. EVERY person has their own story.....I try not to judge on things so simple as this.. IT reminds me of vaccinations...they can be harmful but they do good also.....not for me to judge at all.....a mother is a mother it doesnt matter how she gave birth.

twinsnseptember
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I Vbac with the 1 I got, requirements of the hospital and my ob. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this
It's really none of your business. What's done is done. To each her own. Also, you weren't present at the L&D so you have no idea what these women had to do to get their babies out safely, alive, and alive themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)