Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moms who got epidurals

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Why? I mean, why beyond the fact that it hurt?

I knew I would have a drug free birth before I ever got pregnant with ds but after going through the childbirth and being presented the information on edipurals it just left wondering why anyone would ever want one.

Why would you try so hard to keep your unborn baby healthy for 9 months, only to pump him full of narcotics at the last minute? And then all of the other meds that have to be pumped into your system because of the epidural...it causes labor to slow down so they give you pitocin, it causes your blood pressure to drop so they give you blood pressure meds. And all of it goes to your tiny little baby.

Then there's the side effects. It's possible to end up with horrible headaches for years, muscle and nerve damage, paralysis...the list goes on. And you can't feel what you're doing while you push so aren't you more likely to do some damage?

Honestly not trying to bash here but it just confuses me why anyone would do this. Once again, I know the obvious answer is "because it hurts" but my question is why is not worth it to be in temporary pain when there are so many risks associated with the alternative?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM
7 moms liked this
I always knew I would have an epidural, hell that was the entirety of my birth plan "there will be drugs"

I loved it, had a fantastic experience and wouldnt change a thing.
pce68
by Patti on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM

There are risks to birth, regardless of whether you use drugs or not. I had originally planned in having an all natural birth, but the labor was slow and unproductive, and the pain just got to be more than I could bear, so I got the epidural and I have never regretted it. I had no complications from it and neither did my dd.

hnischke
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM
I had zero sleep going into labor. I had t slept more than 10 hours over a span of 3 days. I had no energy to cope with mild contractions. I wanted all natural but given the circumstances I was in I made a great choice for me. There's always next time :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM
I have had four spinal blocks and two epidurals. Nothing negative happened to me or the kids. I had them done because I had c-sections for health concerns

Quoting Anonymous:

Why? I mean, why beyond the fact that it hurt?

I knew I would have a drug free birth before I ever got pregnant with ds but after going through the childbirth and being presented the information on edipurals it just left wondering why anyone would ever want one.

Why would you try so hard to keep your unborn baby healthy for 9 months, only to pump him full of narcotics at the last minute? And then all of the other meds that have to be pumped into your system because of the epidural...it causes labor to slow down so they give you pitocin, it causes your blood pressure to drop so they give you blood pressure meds. And all of it goes to your tiny little baby.

Then there's the side effects. It's possible to end up with horrible headaches for years, muscle and nerve damage, paralysis...the list goes on. And you can't feel what you're doing while you push so aren't you more likely to do some damage?

Honestly not trying to bash here but it just confuses me why anyone would do this. Once again, I know the obvious answer is "because it hurts" but my question is why is not worth it to be in temporary pain when there are so many risks associated with the alternative?

faeriemom1972
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Because I wasn't supposed to be able to have another child in the first place. Because I have lung disease and my pregnancy was very hard on me. Because the stress of the pain was exacerbating my lungs. Because it was a better alternative to an emergency C-section. My son came out beautiful and hollering like Pavarotti after a good piece of cake.

anikahaynes1
I could feel pressure when time to push with my epi. I also did not need pitocin or blood pressure meds because of it. Nor have I had any bad side effects from my epi. I'm glad I got it both times as both ties my kid came out face up and tore me to my butt hole. Deeply!!!! So thankful I didn't feel that!!!!
lendales_mommi

Are you being sarcastic LOL :) Would have been fine??/ LOL u dont know that for sure and why would I want to go through painful ass labor when I can have an epidural with no side effects???

Quoting gwebkeijmmm:

Ooh, come on now! It woulda been fine! Excuses, excuses.

Quoting laranadtony:

Because I had a csection and it would not have been too much fun without it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM
You do know that every medicine out there has side affects right that don't mean it will happen. Some people go hour and hours even days in labor even with no epidural dont you think they would need a break to sleep so they can have the power to push when its time.
I used an epi with my first and I never got pitosin I never got blood pressure pills or any other medication. No head aches paralizes or any other side effect. My labor did not slow down and baby was perfectly fine very alert and no side effects. I think like everything in life everyone has the right to do what they think is best and honestly nobody else needs to understand why others do it.
laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Quoting gwebkeijmmm:

Ooh, come on now! It woulda been fine! Excuses, excuses.

Quoting laranadtony:

Because I had a csection and it would not have been too much fun without it.

LMAO!  I guess I could have gotten one of the indian guys with the turbans in there to talk me through it!

All joking aside, it was better than the spinal except for the itching from the duramorph.

Don't sweat the petty things;Don't pet the sweaty things!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I had the headaches after dd but they were talking about starting the epidural just in case they had to do a c-section. I had stopped progressing and dd heart rate was starting to drop slightly. Ds I knew the risks but also knew he was going to be a big baby(9lbs) so I was scared. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN