Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moms who got epidurals

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Why? I mean, why beyond the fact that it hurt?

I knew I would have a drug free birth before I ever got pregnant with ds but after going through the childbirth and being presented the information on edipurals it just left wondering why anyone would ever want one.

Why would you try so hard to keep your unborn baby healthy for 9 months, only to pump him full of narcotics at the last minute? And then all of the other meds that have to be pumped into your system because of the epidural...it causes labor to slow down so they give you pitocin, it causes your blood pressure to drop so they give you blood pressure meds. And all of it goes to your tiny little baby.

Then there's the side effects. It's possible to end up with horrible headaches for years, muscle and nerve damage, paralysis...the list goes on. And you can't feel what you're doing while you push so aren't you more likely to do some damage?

Honestly not trying to bash here but it just confuses me why anyone would do this. Once again, I know the obvious answer is "because it hurts" but my question is why is not worth it to be in temporary pain when there are so many risks associated with the alternative?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Replies (31-40):
ilana_ny
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I did. I'm petit, my DS was almost 10lbs. It was my, first labor. I was in labor for almoust 3days. After 2nd day of pain my brain didn't work anymore. I ended up with 100 of stitches, if not for Epidoral, I don't think I whould of survive. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM

If the pain lasted less than an hour, then maybe I would have sucked it up and dealt. But by the time I was due to push her out, I had already been in really bad pain for hours, if I hadn't had the epidural, I don't know that I would have been able to push. I didn't end up needing pitocin, or having any lasting effects either (though I've heard of it happening with other people). I don't get what answer you're looking for, some people aren't as good with pain as others, and given how long some labors can last, sometimes you can't just deal with it. 

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM
This, except I didn't have pre eclempsia. I was induced before it got to that point.

Quoting Anonymous:

My doctor didn't give me a choice, I had pre eclempsia.

Side effect of labour pain = raises your blood pressure

side effect of epidural = lowers your blood pressure.

So there you go.

BTW, those are POSSIBLE side effects.  I never got a single one, neither did anyone else Ive ever met you got epidural.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lendales_mommi
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

This exactly :)

Quoting Anonymous:

It's really none of your business. What's done is done. To each her own. Also, you weren't present at the L&D so you have no idea what these women had to do to get their babies out safely, alive, and alive themselves.

Hi_Rae
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM
I wanted one, i was in labor over 24 hours and in pain so I got one. That about sums up that story
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM
I didn't get one with ds and had a horrible experience, he first was facing my hip so I had to wait 4 hours for him to face down, then his head got stuck for an hour and by the time I got him out I was ready to kick my dr out of the room. So for dd I got a different dr and wanted it to be more relaxed and didn't want to get anywhere near the fist experience, I made a deal with my dr that if I got the epidural he wouldn't make me push until I wanted to. I slept the whole time I was in labor, dr came to check on me I felt refreshed so I asked if I could push yet, he got ready I pushed once and dd was out. Much better experience for me anyway
bi-polarmommy
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM

i had two, the first was awesome, i was calm with my labor, i could talk and visit with my dad, ds, and dh, i had no complications or anything

the second was no so great, it did slow down my labor, and since dh had to work, i was alone

i dont regret either one, though

and both my daughters had no problems from the epidural either

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Heart condition. Pain raises the heart rate, I die.
jellybeanjean
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Hmmm pain vs no pain.... What to choose.... ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM
I had two births without one, but I only know of one person in real life who has ever had a problem with one. The doctors claim she moved; she swears she didn't. I know there are more stories of complications, but I think NOT having any lasting, serious side effects (at least that we are aware of at this point) is way more common than having a serious complication.

I plan to get one with my next baby if possible. The timing just didn't work out with my first two.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)