Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moms who got epidurals

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Why? I mean, why beyond the fact that it hurt?

I knew I would have a drug free birth before I ever got pregnant with ds but after going through the childbirth and being presented the information on edipurals it just left wondering why anyone would ever want one.

Why would you try so hard to keep your unborn baby healthy for 9 months, only to pump him full of narcotics at the last minute? And then all of the other meds that have to be pumped into your system because of the epidural...it causes labor to slow down so they give you pitocin, it causes your blood pressure to drop so they give you blood pressure meds. And all of it goes to your tiny little baby.

Then there's the side effects. It's possible to end up with horrible headaches for years, muscle and nerve damage, paralysis...the list goes on. And you can't feel what you're doing while you push so aren't you more likely to do some damage?

Honestly not trying to bash here but it just confuses me why anyone would do this. Once again, I know the obvious answer is "because it hurts" but my question is why is not worth it to be in temporary pain when there are so many risks associated with the alternative?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I develpoed it i the first trimester and pushed on.  Made it to 35 weeks and was induced.  yay me lol

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

This, except I didn't have pre eclempsia. I was induced before it got to that point.

Quoting Anonymous:

My doctor didn't give me a choice, I had pre eclempsia.

Side effect of labour pain = raises your blood pressure

side effect of epidural = lowers your blood pressure.

So there you go.

BTW, those are POSSIBLE side effects.  I never got a single one, neither did anyone else Ive ever met you got epidural.  

iwanabemomie
by Chunk on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this
A nurse that had FOUR natural births told me I should get it,I was also going for a natural birth.after 4 hours of contractions I.was screaming for that shit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WesternNYmom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Because I had to be induced during dd's birth, thanks to being near 6cm dilated and not having any contractions.  I was in hard labor for nearly 5 hours, and the contractions were none stop.  My doctor recomended it so I could relax as my bp was going up.   I had a natural birth with ds.

zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM

my epidural was fabulous. No lasting pain or issues, I pushed just fine. The nurses were impressed for being a first-time Mom. I also had an episiotomy as well as a few other tears that required stitches-my frame is quite small. I was glad to have all the pain from those things be nonexistent so I could focus on the birth of my son.

My second son's labor went so quickly that I had him naturally-I walked around 3.5cm dialated for 3 weeks that when I went into full labor, I was 7 cm by the time we got to the Hospital 20 mins away. and had my son less than an hour later. No time for an epidural. Worst part was feeling the thread go in and out as they stitched me up.

Either way, I had happy, healthy babies. Not every Epidural is perfect, there are always risks, just as there are with Natural Births. I don't knock anyone who births their children either way.

Shermy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM
At 4cm my contractions were at a minimum of 6 minutes long with 30 second breaks between. Nice and flipped right (well sorta)? I did that for a good 10 hours until it was just too much, and I was stalled out at 6 CM. I don't know what else, an I don't need to say anything other than, it was something that really helped me cope, and made me feel good about my overall birth experience. It helped me with the next 8+ hours, and then the 5+ hours of pushing.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Really. I had pre e and didn't get an epi. You could have refused one.

Quoting Anonymous:

My doctor didn't give me a choice, I had pre eclempsia.

Side effect of labour pain = raises your blood pressure

side effect of epidural = lowers your blood pressure.

So there you go.

BTW, those are POSSIBLE side effects.  I never got a single one, neither did anyone else Ive ever met you got epidural.  

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Not that I need to explain myself...
But I'm a wimp when it comes to pain. Made it to 7cm & the pain was just too much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenBof6
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM
I had one and it was glorious.

My first pregnancy I didn't have one. My labor went so fast. My second pregnancy hurt like crazy. I couldn't do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyssa1988-21
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM
This to the t lol

Quoting pce68:

There are risks to birth, regardless of whether you use drugs or not. I had originally planned in having an all natural birth, but the labor was slow and unproductive, and the pain just got to be more than I could bear, so I got the epidural and I have never regretted it. I had no complications from it and neither did my dd.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Probably a lot of people get them because so many doctors and hospitals pretty much push them. I was only in labor for about 6 hours and I had people in the room asking me every 30 mins or so if I wanted the epidural yet. No support from any of the hospital staff, just drug pushing. All through my pregnancy my doctor would remind me that it's there as an option. Even though I told them I didn't want anything they said they were going to go ahead and order it just in case "Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it!" Plus all the horror stories, and most pregnant women I know don't bother to take the lamaze(sp?) classes these days, and are pretty unprepared in general for labor and delivery. We live in a highly medicated society and whenever any doctor or nurse would talk to me about it they never once mentioned any downsides or possible side effects, just said that it's a "realitively safe" form of pain management.

I've never had one, but I can understand how people cave under all that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN