Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

That was terrifying! Please tell me he can't track me! (It's long but I'm scared)--Craigslist warning for NC

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 110 Replies

I've been looking for a car on craigslist and I thought I'd found one. I LOVED it from what I saw in the pictures. So the guy and I talk over the phone and I get his address to come get it and pay him. I get there, about an hour away, and pull up to THE MOST rundown apartments I've ever seen. People had spraypainted everywhere, torn up furniture thrown outside the doors, the wooden steps to go up stairs were falling apart, very very dim outdoor lighting, etc. So I was wondering, how do these people have such a nice car? Anyways, my husband parks beside of the car I was buying. It def didn't look as good as it did in the pics. The paint job was done with white spray paint. But if it was a running car, I still wanted it. (Oh and it's night time to add to the creepiness of all this btw. I know I shouldn't have went at night but it's the only time we could go.) So we pull up and the guy comes out. It's him and another guy. Neither one of them could've been over 20.

DH tells me to stay in the car with the money just in case.  He gets out and then they talk and I can see from the look on his face something is wrong. (Later I found out they were a bit annoyed that he had came with me because they thought it was just going to be 2 women.) The guys were sagging their jeans and  I was watching out the window (Which I had cracked a little to hear conversation). Well one of the guys pulled his pants up, but he did it from the back in a weird way, not from the side. (A sign that he has a holster around his waist). I looked at DH and he noticed it too. The other guy stares into the car I am in, looking all around in it and at me. I think he was looking for my purse or wallet (Which had the money in it) but luckily I had it hid under the seat. DH ask to see the title and for the keys to make sure it would start up.

The guy won't give it to him. He says they're inside but he wants 1,200 upfront (The car was costing 2500) before he will go in and get them. DH says no. The guy starts getting annoyed. He leans over a bit to look inside the window of the car and point out how "nice" it is on the inside. When he did that I saw plain as day he def had a gun on him. They continue to argue a bit about the money issue and DH glances over at me inside the car and I nod my head yes, for him to agree. DH could tell something was really wrong.

LUCKILY DH is a smart man and got the hint! DH calms down, starts saying things "Well, my wife really does like it" and "It does have a very nice interior" "You promise you'll bring the keys back out?" trying to make the guy believe he trust him. So, DH tells them that he didn't bring the money in his wallet so he's going to run to the ATM (right next door, you can see it from the apartments) and get the money out. So, DH opens the door of our car to get in and the other guy (The one who was staring into the window) grabs the car door before DH closes it and says "You're coming back with the money right?" Dh says yes. The guy goes "That's good because that's one fine wife, would hate to ruin her". Needless to say we did NOT come back and the guy has been blowing up my phone all night since then.

Is there any way he can track my address by my number? I WILL NEVER AGAIN meet someone from craigslist. I feel so stupid. Looking back on it, I should've known. At the time, I didn't notice a lot of things, but looking back on it, there were clues.For example--The guy asked me how many people were coming with me, (I said one) and then he asked for the name (I said my friend although she didn't end up coming, my DH did, I think he wanted the names to see if a guy was coming), He called me twice on the way there and asked me how far away I was (Perhaps going to get his friend?), he asked how tall I was and claimed it was because he wanted to make sure the car was right for me (The main guy was only probably 5'4. His friend was much bigger though). Thank GOD I didn't have DD with me.

WARNING: This was in Rural Hall NC. The link has been removed but just incase it is reposted with the same pictures, or someone saw it before it was removed, here are the pics of the car!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I know people will say to report him to the cops, but for what? They didn't actually DO anything. Just had planned to. And there's no proof for that

kagdwg09
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Omg thats freaky and i would be changing my number asap!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angie729
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:57 AM

That is scary!! It sounds like they were going to rob you. If it was your cell phone I dont think they can find your address but Im not positive.

anikahaynes1
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:57 AM
OMG that's creepy!!!
mommyajay
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:57 AM
Scary!!!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:58 AM

I've had plenty of things stolen off of me sneakily by "friends" I used to have. When I was younger me and my best friend would purposly get stranded places just for the thrill of meeting, getting in the car with, and going back to their house with strangers. We'd do drugs with strangers and trusted them to tell us what it was. We've done all that and this STILL was creepy! Words can't even describe. (All that is in the way past by the way, I don't do any of that anymore. We did that as teens)

Quoting kagdwg09:

Omg thats freaky and i would be changing my number asap!!!!

SAnders224
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:59 AM
Report his Craigslist post for one. And I don't think they can track an address through a cell number. Good think you brought dh with you and nothing bad happened.
zoo003
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:00 AM
5 moms liked this

If it were me, I would contact the police and just let them know what happened.  There may not be anything they can do, but at least they have it on record in case something in the future happens (plus, it could have been a stolen vehicle). Along with this, I would definitely block his number from my phone. I am glad you got out ok. :) 

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I would STILL call the cops.  Good chance i's a stolen car.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I wonder what would've happened if I would've brought my best friend instead? OMG I don't even want to think about it. I'm 5'1 and 115 pounds, she's 5'6 and 102 pounds. I don't think we'd be very intimidating for them to think twice about trying anything on us.

Quoting SAnders224:

Report his Craigslist post for one. And I don't think they can track an address through a cell number. Good think you brought dh with you and nothing bad happened.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)